Town forced to move Nativity Scene... Update!

I posted a week or so ago about a local town which was forced to move their Nativity because it was on Government property... HERE is the original question I posted.

They announced today (LINK) that the town has moved it back. Apparently there was a Supreme Court Ruling in 1982 that government buildings were permitted to display religious decorations AS LONG AS they they also display non-religious or religious decorations from other faiths along side it. Because they also had more "secular" decorations on display as well, it was ruled that the Nativity was okay legally and it was moved back.

More of an update than anything but... What are your thoughts?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 3:44 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I wonder how much they spent moving the figures back and forth.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:47 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Lol, too bad nobody bothered to check BEFORE they moved it. Perhaps now Christians can stop whining they are being oppressed.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 3:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I see crosses and these types of scenes everywhere, fine whatever floats your boat, but can I also have a pentacle or a goddess statue in display too? These other figures of other faiths are so vague the the general passer byer would not notice it.
    Roisin07

Answer by Roisin07 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• They had other "secular" displays? Hmmm, does that mean a santa claus or snowflakes LOL.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Roisin, honestly, I think it's all in how you see things. For me, I don't tend to see a Nativity as a "Christian" decoration, even though most do. I put one up in fact. I see it as a depiction of the Birth of the Sun (rather than the son). And a Christmas tree in my eyes is a Yule Tree... Things along the lines of Candy Canes and whatnot are just neutral most of the time. I don't expect them to display something for everyone, although it would be nice, but seeing how the norm doesn't have to equal Christian, I don't tend to get bothered... Preferably they would just stick with lights or something wintery, but lets just face the fact that that won't happen...

As a side note to the story, the woman who originally wrong the letter that got it moved, has actually had to "go in to hiding" because of death threats and visualization of her home.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I'm not completely sure what qualifies as "Secular" over "religious" but I know there is a Christmas tree as well which the original complaint did not address... So I'm thinking that's what they are counting as "Secular" but who knows...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 4:02 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I agree sabrina:) Yes there are many things such as the Yule tree/Christmas tree that I would see out and make it my own meaning. I just think it would be nice to be able to have some of my spiritual icons displayed without the fallout. I don't think it is right of any faith to tell someone they can't display something anywhere.
    But, I don't have the time or the care about this to make someone take down their scene ya know...I know what I believe and whats in my and my families heart and thats all the display I need:)
    Roisin07

Answer by Roisin07 at 4:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I happen to live there as well. I personally think she did this for attention. I heard from one person that knows her that in one breath she will say she is atheist and the next agnostic. They are to very diffrent things. Personally I dont care if the scene is there or not. But she had to know this was comming with her face shown on the news and even her house number. This is a very small town.
    almightycookie

Answer by almightycookie at 4:12 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I hear you completely! Like I said in a previous post, in my town you can't even put this stuff up in your own yard without facing fines because ANYTHING that your neighbors decide they don't like falls under an "Eyesore" law - that includes religious decorations. So while the Christians can get away with just about anything (being they are the majority) I've even known a Jewish/Christian home that was forced to remove their Menorah from their front window, while being permitted to keep their Christmas tree... Apparently the Menorah was an "eyesore."

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• " I've even known a Jewish/Christian home that was forced to remove their Menorah from their front window, while being permitted to keep their Christmas tree... Apparently the Menorah was an "eyesore.""

WOW that is horrible.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2010