What natural cleaning products are the best?

I want to get away from the harsh chemicals and the strong odors of cleaning products. What is the best natural ones out there? I have trouble with hard water stains so I need something strong enough to handle that.

frstimemom2010

Asked by frstimemom2010 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Well Iike Meyer's A LOT and it is carried in more places now. I also do some home remedies, for carpet stain I use dishsoap w vinegar and water scrud with clean cloth really works for me.
    Kelly2573

Answer by Kelly2573 at 3:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Vinegar naturally cleans like an all-purpose cleaner. Mix a solution of 1 part water to 1 part vinegar in a new store bought spray bottle and you have a solution that will clean most areas of your home. Vinegar is a great natural cleaning product as well as a disinfectant and deodorizer.Lemon juice is another natural substance that can be used to clean your home. Lemon juice can be used to dissolve soap scum and hard water deposits. Lemon is a great substance to clean and shine brass and copper. Lemon juice can be mixed with vinegar and or baking soda to make cleaning pastes. Cut a lemon in half and sprinkle baking soda on the cut section. Use the lemon to scrub dishes, surfaces, and stains. Mix 1 cup olive oil with ½ cup lemon juice and you have a furniture polish for your hardwood furniture. Baking soda for refrigerator septic tanks litter box remove crayon marks use to remove built up conditioning and style gel from hair
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• there is natural cleaning products at the store.. called Method.
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 4:05 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• The above post is right about the homemade cleaners. I am sometimes too lazy for all that though, and I like baby ganics products. You can get unscented in nearly everything, which I like. And they are not toxic and safe for use around the baby. I also like them best because they seem to clean better than some of the others I have tried. The Clorox Green items I've heard are not actually non-toxic and contain some of the same ingredients as regular stuff...and Babyganics is widely available where I live which is nice because I don't have a health food store close. They have it at Wal-Mart and Toys R Us here I know for sure. It is pricier though...so I look for sales.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 4:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Bleach. Borax. Vinegar. Baking Soda.
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 4:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• No offense IndigoRose, but bleach is one of the most toxic commercial cleaning products. Plain hydrogen peroxide (in the brown bottle) does the same thing and is not harmful to the environment and does not emit the noxious fumes of bleach.

OP if you are looking for homemade products, check out the group called Homemade Goodness. Lots of good recipes there and tips as well. As far as store-bought, the least costly non/low toxic cleaners are Seventh Generation.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 4:28 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Thank you for your help!
    frstimemom2010

Comment by frstimemom2010 (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Vinegar works well for a lot of cleaning. There's a website with something like 1000 uses for vinegar. I also like many of the Method brand of cleaning products too.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Vinegar for most things and sprite to remove red wine from the carpet.
    daisydays171

Answer by daisydays171 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• vinegar works great
    kim0167

Answer by kim0167 at 1:21 AM on Dec. 15, 2010