Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

My child got toys she can't use from a charity

She is mentally disabled and they gave her toys she can't developmentally play with. I didn't want to complain but i called and asked if there was anything they could do and there wasn't.

So my question is this is it wrong to try and find out where they came from and take them back so i can get her something she will play with?

I feel like as long as I'm using the credit to get something else for her it should be fine but i still feel a little weird about it.

We didn't have a whole lot of money so i took what little i had and got a little something for my younger child who didn't get toys from the charity so if i don't she isn't going to get anything.

no bashing please i feel bad enough as is

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Holidays

Answers (17)
  • I would say go ahead and return them. That way you can get something that is beneficial to her

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • Return them and trade for something she can use.

    Answer by Gealach at 4:10 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • As someone that donates to toys for tots. I would not mind you doing that as long as you were returning it to get a more appropriate toy for her and not using the money to buy cigarettes or something like that.

    I think in this case you have to go ahead and do what you need to. You know you are doing the right thing for your circumstance.

    Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:10 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • What CAN she play with? Were they going by her age alone when you signed up?

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:11 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • next year try and remember to mention it or make a note of it when you apply! i think returning is OK considering the circumstances

    Answer by hibbingmom at 4:11 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • To be honest here, most places make it where you can't return gifts, that you get from charity(I've seem several people over teh years get things and turn around and return them just so they could have the cash to blow instead). My suggestion is, if your child can't use them, than maybe talk to the person in charge of the charity and inform them that your child just can't use them. Take the toys with you and maybe they have some extras that might work for you... This is just my thought on this.. Hope everything works out for you..


    Answer by midnitesun at 4:12 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • If the toys came from a charity then chances are the toys were donated by people in the community or by businesses and it may not be possible for the charity to tell you where the toys came from (like a certain store) and chances are you might not be able to 'return' the toy for exchange or store credit. If the toy is unused and still in the pkg maybe you can find someone who could use it and either sell it to them or trade for something that you could use.


    Answer by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • the form just had age and sex but it was through the school and shes in special ed 100% of the time so i just thought they knew. I feel kinda dumb about it now.

    She's mentally handicapped and severely autistic so she mostly plays with baby toys and little toys that light up/ play music.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • If you can't return them, maybe try selling them? If they are new, you could post them on a local website for less than the retail price & probably sell them fairly quickly & without too much hassle. Then you could use the cash to buy something appropriate for your child. Good luck!

    Answer by SaraBeth1204 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • Age on a toy donation form is used to choose an age-appropriate gift. The purchaser bought a toy for a child that age, not one developmentally younger. Since someone was kind enough to donate them for your family, perhaps you could donate the unusable items so that someone else's child might enjoy them. I don't think you'll be able to return them.

    Answer by yoliplus6 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.