what is making my dishwasher smell like rotten eggs???

when I open my dishwasher to put dishes into it it reaks. It won't tho after we've run the dishwasher and first open but then it starts to stink again after a day...
ARGH!!!!!!!

starlight1968

Asked by starlight1968 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Clean the gasket really well, and see if that helps.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:19 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Probably rotting food material. If you've already cleaned the food trap, you probably have food caught up inside the jets or even in the drain. You can try running a cup of baking soda and a cup of vinegar through a wash cycyle. We had this problem and it was bad enough that we ended up having to call a plumber. Everything had to be disconnected and pipes had to be opened and cleared out.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 4:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Clean the food trap, and then run it without dishes in it and add a 1/2 cup of bleach.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:21 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Could it be your water?...sometimes water has that sulfur smell.
    Anonymous

• When I moved outside of town, to the good ole well water, everytime I did laundry, it stank so bad. Ugh. It probably is your water. Try dumping a cup on bleach inside the dishwasher. Let it run through a cycle. That will totally clean the line in case there is something clogged in there. If you still notice the smell, it's definitely your water.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:38 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• ty all I know it's not the water so I will try the other 2 ideas to try to clean it out...(gonna have to get my head in it once it's been run/cleaned I guess).

THANK YOU !!
    starlight1968

Comment by starlight1968 (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Dec. 14, 2010