what time do you start dinner?

i like to start no later than 6, and eat no later than 7. hubby doesnt get home from work til 7:30 so he usually always misses out on family dinners (except weekends when he gets off earlier) but my oldest is 4 so if we eat any later than that it will throw the whole bedtime schedule later, and cause some really cranky children in the morning when we have to get my oldest out the door for school by 7:45.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Hubby was raised by parents old enough to be his grandparents and thinks 5pm is dinner time (I guess I should be thankful it's not 4:30 like his mom eats now). I start cooking around 4 so it's ready when he comes home. I hate eating so early, I'm not hungry until 6 or 7 so I end up eating early with him and then snacking before bed. Ugh.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:23 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Depends......from between 4:30-5 PM I start cooking. If it is a roast, then it's been cooking all day and the last hour or so I put in the potatoes, onions, carrots........etc.
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 5:28 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Since my DH work nights and he is sleeping when I get home from work, I typically will eat early between 5 and 5:30, (since it's just me it doesn't take me too long to whip something together). On the weekends when he is home I will start cooking around 5 and we eat at 6.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 5:10 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Depending on what I am making about 5:15 or so....Dh gets gome about 5:45 ish and we eat right after he comes ome
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 5:11 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• We usually eat by 6 pm, that is what time my grandparents always ate, and my mom always kept to the schedule just keeping something warm for my dad when he was not home by then. I don't always keep to the schedule, some nights it is earlier or later, but for the most part, if supper is not already done(i.e. crockpot), I start supper when I get home.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 5:12 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• 11. Eat at 12. Now supper on the other hand, I sometimes start cooking really early in the day, if it's an extensive meal. Regular meals, anytime after 3, but by 5, unless we have something going on that I can't start that soon. I like to eat as soon after 5 as possible so the kids are in bed on time.
    Anonymous

• I start between 4-4:30 dh gets home at 5 and I like to eat shortly after I hate my evening taken up with cooking and dishes
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Why don't you feed the kids earlier and eat with DH when he gets home? Just a thought.

I started dinner at 6:00 when DH gets home. We eat whenever it is done. Kids eat at 6:00.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:06 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• 4p so we can eat by 5p
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 7:34 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Well yesterday I made chili and I started around 4 but we did not eat until dh came home at 8:30
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 7:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2010