Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son (8) has started getting twitches. a lot of them all over. Anyone have any ideas what would cause them? or what kind of specialist I should take him to?

Answer Question

Asked by NancyRaut at 5:10 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Health

Level 3 (17 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • More tics or muscle spasms?

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:12 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • Not really sure of the difference. I think tic because he repeats it but then again he jerks his body like a muscle spasm.

    Comment by NancyRaut (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • Call a neurologist and make an appointment...the first thing that pops into my mind is Tourette Syndrome...but there are other things it could be as well.

    Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:18 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • can they do anything for that?

    Comment by NancyRaut (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • first thing that comes to mind is tourette dh's nephew has that. although his symptoms are just blinking alot, tourettes has different symptoms, depends on the person. GL

    Answer by armywife43 at 5:31 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • I saw a show on it the other day and there IS a brain surgery they can do...but it has to be severe....there are some cases so severe that the person can not function in daily life.

    But a lot of times kids can grow out of can sometimes show up or surface in the early years of puberty.

    Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • Definatly a pediatric neurologist.

    Answer by Raine2001 at 6:04 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • Depending on your insurance you may have to take him to you pediatrician first, which is always a good idea, and then get a refearal to a neurologist. It could also be something as simple as a potassium deficiancy, or a more serious neurological disorder. Like tourettes or Epilepsy.

    Best bet will be to go to you pediatrician and he can decide if he wants to perform a few tests or just go directly to the neurologits.

    Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • Has he been put on a new medication recently ? My grandson has had that problem with some of the meds. that his doc. has tried him on.
    Just a thought.

    Answer by megamamaw at 1:09 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.