Specail Needs Child

I have a 4yr old son who was born with Down Syndrome so he has moderate developmental delays...including potty training. He does pee on the potty, but not consistantly and refuses to go number 2 on the potty at all. I know that can be typical of some children not to poop on the potty at first, but does anybody have anything that worked for your special needs child or typical developing child that is creative......my oldest son was potty trained at 2 1/2 and did it in less than a week. I know not to comare them, but it was so little effort with my first son. Thanks for your help.

team21

Asked by team21 at 5:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Chuck E. Cheese has a chart that you can print out. Or you can make your own.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 5:50 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• charts didnt work for my daughter who has developmental delays. she is 4 as well and i still have a hell of a time etting her to use the toilet all the time. im not really sure but letting her know that she is a big kid is helpful, but we also have a baby in the house so she is able to see the difference.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 5:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Thanks cassie_m....we have 4 boys ages 5,4 2 1/2 and 8monhts......dominic is the second born.
    team21

Comment by team21 (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My good friend has a kiddo with downs. She tried and tried to get her potty trained, but she simply was not ready until age 6. She said that someone she knew from church had a with downs (who was now in college studying early childhood education :D), but she didn't fully potty train until 6 either. So I think that your son is doing just fine. :) Its great he's peeing in the potty. You may want to encourage him to sit instead of standing to pee, since once they embrace standing before they have mastered sitting to poop, its harder to get them to sit to poop.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:05 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• ohhhhh i will have all 4 of my boys sit at first to pee...lol...at least till the get control of their penis......LOL. Dont want to clean up the mess.
    team21

Comment by team21 (original poster) at 6:08 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• my son is 4 and has down syndrome too. he will pee on the potty but not poop. i have tried to put him on when i know he needs to poop but he will hold it and the second his diaper goes back on he goes. he also doesn't pee on the potty on his own yet, i have to take him every hour or so.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 1:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• thanks for your input austinsmama.
    team21

Comment by team21 (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2010