Should we be censoring American News Agencies?

Allen WEST: There are different means by which you can be attacked. I mean it doesnt have to be a bomb or an airplane flying into a building. It doesn't have to be a shooting. It can be through cyber attacks, it could be through leaking of very sensitive classified information. Regardless of whether you think it causes any harm, the fact that here is an individual that is not an American citizen first and foremost, for whatever reason gotten his hands on classified American material and put it out there in the public domain. And I think that we also should be censoring the American news agencies which enabled him to do this and also supported him and applauding him for the efforts. So that's kind of aiding and abetting of a serious crime.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 5:56 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• But, there has to be a line drawn somewhere when it comes to certain things.
    __________________________
    There is a line drawn. This statement is wayyyy too subjective. Freedom of the press is a guarantee. In the constitution.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:43 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• No, I don't think anything should be censored. What would be the point once the material is public?

That being said, I DO ~ very emphatically ~ feel that every single individual who is responsible (from the lowliest copy editor to the owner of any media outlet) be tried, convicted, and punished in the fullest sense for treason. It's bad enough that some grungy little twerp from down under tossed the data out there, but for any American media to allow it, encourage it, or applaud it shows just how low they have gone when it comes to scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I could care less if they hang them or shoot them ~ but punish them appropriately. Not one of our soldiers' lives are worth losing for scum like that.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Funny how some defend him but if a Liberal/Dem said the EXACT same thing their panties would be in a bunch.

That is because liberals support the fairness doctrine, have been quoted as saying the FCC should shut down Rush Limbaugh, FOX news, attacked the Drudge report wanting them taken down, etc... why would we trust a liberal?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:21 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• No, not even MSNBC.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Trust sweet to take his words out of context. Knowing his history I think what he was saying is they should be "censured" not "censored". Maybe I am wrong, but he is very pro military and most certainly sees the leaks as treason.

But, to answer the question...NO there should be no censoring.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:56 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• So you are PRO censoring American news? becuase thats EXACTLY what he said

And the line is to slash the constitution and become more like China and have government approves "news"?

Or freedom of the press apparently

This issue is not about freedom of the press or censorship. It is about people who committed treasonable offenses and ups, I DO know what treason is: Section 3. Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. You notice the part where is says "giving them AID and Comfort". If stealing and publishing secret Military Information is not giving aid to the enemy in your book, then I am not sure what would be. "The offense of treason trumps the freedom of the press argument. " With respect to governmental information, any government may distinguish
    which materials
    CONT.
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 10:10 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• are public or protected from disclosure to the public based on classification of information as sensitive, classified or secret and being otherwise protected from disclosure due to relevance of the information to protecting the national interest." I think that kinda sums it up does it not??
    goodwitch399

• No, not even MSNBC
    Did you check out her link.
    Newsvine is a property of msnbc.com proudly displayed at the bottom.

That's why I said that.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:42 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• your ok with censuring the news by the government for printing NEWS?

Evidently you're ok with our own news media endangering our soldiers, possibly costing them their lives, so that 'you' can read some 'news'?!? Wow. Tell me something Sweet ... just what exactly is ANY citizen of this country going to do with 'news' like that? Are you/they gonna run out and take out the bad guys? Are you gonna get you some hadjis? How about just throwing yourself in front of a soldier and taking a bullet or sucking up an IED blast for one?

Somehow I just can't believe that. What I believe is that you'll spin it and make excuses and tell me how much you support the military and the COTUS and pitch a fit when I say horsehockies ... maybe chat about how the PFC who released the data deserves to pay a price the treasonous media fools don't. Well, consider it said. Horsehockies. In fact, add in a pony poo for good measure.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Who? I don't...No one I know does....Do YOU agree with EVERYTHING EVERY REPUBLICAN says??

Well, hell, sweet. I didn't know YOU were the only liberal in the country.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:31 PM on Dec. 14, 2010