Is it ok to just buy a Bassinet instead of a Crib?

Why or Why Not!?!?!?

smokisses

Asked by smokisses at 6:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Do not know your economic situation, but most new parents are hurting for money. So IMO the crib is a better choice since it will only be a few short months (depending on how large your baby is) until they need to be out of the bassinet anyway. Then you will have to buy a crib regardless. To answer why, it is a safety issue as bassinets are not sturdy and once your baby is becoming active--rolling over, etc.--it could tumble out or turn the bassinet on top of itself.
    ChezBelle

Answer by ChezBelle at 6:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Bassinets will hold the baby til 4-5 mo max... might be better to get a crib right offf if you have to pick one
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 6:11 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• If you have to pick one choose the crib. Children can stay in cribs up to their 3rd birthday if needed. Once a baby starts rolling over bassinettes are no longer safe for them.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:13 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Yes its okay, we had one for our first son and used it for our 2nd and 3rd son, but got rid of it after our 3rd son when we thought we were done having children. I did not buy one for my 4th son because they ourgrow them so fast. I borrowed a co-sleeper type bassinet from a friend and i love it. It attaches to our bed.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 6:14 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Of course it is, so long as you know that you'll need to transition to a crib in only a few months. My daughter slept in her cradle (size of a bassinet) until 6 months of age, but she was quite small.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:14 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I feel like a crib is a better choice, one with stationary sides. A bassinet is a very temporary piece of furniture, and I don't understand spending money on it when only a few months down the road you'll have to buy a crib at some point.

We had to transfer to a toddler bed for our daughter at 14 months old because she tried to climb out of it... I cannot reasonably fathom having a bassinet, crib, AND toddler bed all in right over a year for her. No way! GL!
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• It depends, if you are only relying on a bassinet you will be unhappy with that decision because my kids only fit in them until about 3 months, and then once they become mobile they are impossible to keep in there, not to mention it is very dangerous.
    scharette

Answer by scharette at 6:29 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I used a bassinet until 3 months. But you do NEED a crib also.
    MarvelousMama

Answer by MarvelousMama at 1:02 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• We are starting with moses basket only. Will get crib as needed! I don't see why not just a bassinet.
    TeacherMeg23

Answer by TeacherMeg23 at 6:11 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• If it's a choice between one or the other, pick the crib. Your baby will outgrow a bassinet rather quickly. A crib will last a lot longer. We had both, but when our daughter no longer fit in her bassinet, she slept in the bed with us until we got her a toddler bed at about 20 months...the crib barely got used. We did it all wrong though. As nice as co-sleeping can be, it's HARD to break the habit and get them into their own bed/crib. Better off just using the crib right from the beginning. If it's a space issue, consider getting a mini-crib or the co-sleeper thing that attaches to the side of your bed, then can be converted into a standalone mini-crib.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 6:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2010