Accelerated Reader program question

My son has brought home a TOPS report from this Accelerated Reader program and I understand it all except for the "Points Earned" section. He has surpassed the other goals set by quite a bit but his points goal was set at 10 and he only earned 1.5. Anyone know how that works or how they get these points?

It's new to us, I'm going to ask the teacher but wanted to see if anyone had an answer more quickly. Thanks! =)

Jessica157

Asked by Jessica157 at 6:11 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• 1.5 points means he's only passed 3 or 4 books at most in the time frame of the report. He could be reading the right level, but he's not reading enough if he needs to meet a goal of 10 points. But it depends on how long he has to meet the goal and when the report was run. For example, my students' goal is to earn 5 points a month. I run reports weekly. So at the end of the first week if they've earned 1.5 points that's fine. But if it's the third week they would be behind.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 10:29 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• You should have gotten a list from the school. On that list should be a reading level and a point value.

Example: The book is Fish Face by Patricia Reilly Giff. Book level is 2.7, and the point value is 0.5. If they have to earn 5 points per quarter, they will have to read more than one book or find a book and the point level.

I hope that helps.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 6:23 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I didn't get a list and my son wasn't told a thing. lol Thank you for your response! I think I get it. So they have the quarter to make their point goal then? That makes sense. His goal is set for 10 and he has 1.5. I didn't understand how that was possible when he had done so well. :)
    Jessica157

Comment by Jessica157 (original poster) at 6:28 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• What grade is he in? My son is in third, and they have to have 5 points each quarter. It could be different at the school.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 6:44 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• He's a third grader.
    Jessica157

Comment by Jessica157 (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Is he reading any chapter books? Chapter books are worth more points (points are based on the length of the book) so if he reads a couple of those he can earn points quickly. More importantly, reading chapter books is an important skill that some kids never acquire. It really hurts them in the upper grades.

You should ask the teacher for clarification on the goal and the points he's earning. She should be able to tell you exactly what's going on.

maxswolfsuit

• Thank you. :) He has been reading chapter books for quite some time and reads well ahead of his own grade level. The book on the test was one read at school, not here at home. It was his reading level but short. I am asking the teacher if he can test on the larger books he reads at home or if she is having them read shorter stuff at school just for the sake of these tests. I could see that being the case. I've also asked about how long they have to make these points. Thank you again!
    Jessica157

Comment by Jessica157 (original poster) at 4:52 PM on Dec. 15, 2010