My friend's baby is 1 year old and has had a fever for almost 2 months.

It is up to 104 today and his lymph nodes are completely swollen in his throat. She has taken him to the Dr. hundreds of times and to the E.R. and they just keep switching antibiotics but nothing is working. I work in the healthcare field and have never heard of a fever lasting this long. Has anyone else been through this? Helfpul advice only please!

sugaree

Asked by sugaree at 6:30 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Health

• Sounds like an auto immune disorder.
    Anonymous

• pray :)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:32 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Back to the Drs!!!!! Stay until hes better! Completely!
    Anonymous

• Take him back to another doctor, that just does not sound right. She needs to demand that the doctors do something and find out what is wrong with her child.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:37 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Does she have a "regular" pediatrician that they see? Have they checked with any specialists? Done blood work?
    If his fever is 104 today, what has it been? Like hovering around 100? I have heard of that, and no one ever diagnoses anything and it just goes away. I'm so sorry that LO is having these problems.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Have they run any lab work? That does seem like way to long of a time to have a fever even if it was off and on.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Keep going to the doctor until they run some tests.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 6:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• She needs to take the child to a different doctor for a second opinion.
    The ER isn't going to spend time on him properly and her doctor clearly isn't willing to put the proper tests in order to get it diagnosed. Explain to the second doctor the situation and what little the first doctor has done to try and diagnose it. This isn't healthy for the child in any means to have a fever that long, especially one soo high. It could be a number of things from a virus to something more serious. I am leaning towards it being something more serious.

If needed ask for a referal to a specialist, so that the child gets the best care needed. Do not let this go unhandled. As I said, it isn't healthy for the child's temprature to remain soo high, especially for soo long.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:41 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Ask if they did blood work thats how they found what was ailing my son tell her to stay until she gets it done.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:41 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• He had bloodwork for mono and immune disorders today she said. Today his fever is 104 but goes down as low as 101.7 with motrin. He has a runny nose, and sounds of fluid in chest, cough. She said she has been dealing with this since the end of October. She said today has been the worst day so far. I advised her to take him back to the E.R. tonight if she has to, but to find a diff doctor tomorrow and not to take no for an answer. I'm so scared for her and her little one.
    sugaree

Comment by sugaree (original poster) at 6:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2010