How do you teach a 9year old boy about respect?

Alright, how do I teach my son to respect the teachers and the after care staff, when he tries to hard to be cool and all teenage like. I tried somethings but I don't think they are working :( I am told he is told over and over again what needs to been. And he is in La La land just taling away.

NOV1999

Asked by NOV1999 at 6:42 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• He needs to start having rewards & consequences for his behavior. You may even want to role play at the dinner table or in other situations that he may give an undesirable response. (ie, "I think you meant to say......" ) Work w/ his teachers & before/after school care to work out a behavior chart based on his worst offenses. When he starts to show improvement on those, then he is working toward a reward of some kind. When he screws up, he is punished. Be consistent & look for those teachable moments. Drill baby drill! Practice will make perfect (well close) Good luck.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:23 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Has he ever seen it demonstrated? Take him to meet war vets, and demonstrate the respect they deserve. Then chat about what respect means, and have him give you examples of showing respect.
    SamKJones

Answer by SamKJones at 7:29 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I told my son if he could not act right in school and be respectful bucause "other kids do it" I would pull him out and homeschool him...

He has not had a problem after that!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:32 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• because not bucause!
    Soniam301

• i have a cart with my 8 year old when he does good he gets treated like a toy or taken some where and when he not doing good and gets 3 warnings he gets something taken away
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 7:38 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• By example is the best way. When he's disrespectful take something away, when he is respectful reward him, The other girls have great ideas as well, like taking him to meet war vets and such.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 7:42 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I agree with the other ladies, respect is really taught by example but also a lot of conversations about the right and wrong way to treat people. When my oldest was younger he had a serious problem talking all the time in class and was told it was disrespectful and to stop it. However he didn't really understand what that meant.. So I broke it down to show real life cause and effect examples. The teachers job is to teach, his job and the job of all the kids in his class is to learn, when he talks at the same time the teacher is talking he's ruining the job for everyone and that's not fair. The teacher can't teach and his friends can't learn. Once we broke that all down, he was much better. I had to do that for a lot of things, but it goes along a way in understanding appropriate behaviors, respecting others and empathy for others.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2010