anyone else get stressed out at these parent things???

tonight is the sophomore seminar.  you know the parent seminar where the school tells you what your child should be doing at this point to get into college.  what classes they should be in or have taken, what test preps they should be signed up for, what volunteer hours should be logged by now, etc. etc. etc.  It stresses me out to no end.... I always feel Im not doing enough to help her.

I remember at the end of the freshman seminar last year I felt I was about 3 yrs behind the other parents prep work.  God it makes me feel like she will fail because of ME. 

I know, rationally, that there is a college for every child but the horror stories they tell you about how hard it is to get in even if you have a 4.0+++++ and volunteered every extra hour of your childhood.  My gosh and here I just thought I had to save the money... this is stressing me out!!!!

I have done really well to date to keep my stress out of my childs view... but it reallllly puts a knot in my stomach to listen to the councelors and other parents.

Is it really THAT HARD to get into school these days???????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I know exactly how you feel! My youngest is now 19. My sister in law is a professor at UCLA, and SHE was stressing me out about college and what we had to do. Both of my boys are at the city college right now.....just more affordable, and close to home so they can live at home while going to school, but they definitely freak you out over that stuff at the schools.

And then my SIL tells us that to get into UCLA you now have to have a 4.5 GPA.....I didn't even know there was such a thing!!! In order to get a 4.5 you have to have straight A's.....and all honors classes.....seriously!!! Well, the boys are doing fine, and finding scholarships for the University, so whatever I didn't do.....they're doing okay.

Good luck mamma, I'm right there with you!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:34 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• my stomach is just in knots. My child is an A student (only honors is english, no AP classes) accept in anything math related... then it is barely a B or a high C... and that is with tutors multiple times a week. I only praise her efforts because I know that those grades are her best... I know that she is giving those subjects her all. But math has been her down fall since elementary school.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Good universities have raised their expectations, it is not as easy as it use to be to get admitted to a reputable universities. I was lucky enough to have kids who did everything expected of them to complete their requirements and graduate, and without any stress. I was even lucky enough to have them earn scholarships which helped a lot.

Answer by older at 8:33 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I was just listening to some speakers on public radio today talking about this very subject. One of their biggest points was that there is a school for everyone who wants to go to college although not every school is for every student. They recomment more kids think about attending 2-year schools like community colleges and then transferring if their high school grades aren't high enough to get in. Plus it's a lot less expensive.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My son graduated in 2009 with a 4.0 and got rejected from 2 colleges. The colleges are looking for lots of extra-curricular activities as well as students who maybe have a hardship story. For example, went on to get great grades while dealing with family issues. If you are from an upper middle class family it is even harder to get into college.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 7:48 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It is hard to get into colleges. I think that it is amazing when a kid does it all on their own. My husband has dedicated the last four years of his life to getting out three kids into college.
    Having said that read some books and paint your kids rosy picture on the college apps. It is all in how you spin it.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• LOL @ jcm... yep we are upper middle class, good home, married parents, no hardships at all. And here I thought that was a good thing.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2010