Breastmilk production ideas.....

I keep hearing that a beer can help produce more milk, but how often? Once a week? once a day or what i need help because if this really works i'm at the point i'm willing to try it at least.

snowconepixie

Asked by snowconepixie at 11:00 AM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh hon don't drink beer! I don't know if it helps with breast milk production but I do know that the alcohol goes into the milk and you don't want your baby drinking that!

Pumping can help. The more milk you express the more you make. There are also teas and herbs you can try. And some things you should stay away from like cabbage (which dries up your milk).
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 11:05 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Always ask your baby's pediatrician before taking anything including herbs. Just because they are natural doesn't mean they are good for the baby. I've never heard about beer increasing milk, and I also don't recommend it. No milk is better than poisoned milk. There are pumps designed to help increase milk production. I bought a Medela and it's great. If you can't afford to buy one you can rent one from your hospital. It's not as gross as it sounds once you see what it looks like. If all you need is to help build up your supply that may be the way to go.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 11:29 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Lets see. Oatmeal can help increase production....so can blessed thistle, and also fenugreek works wonders. GNC
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• My mother-in-law used to do this for me after I had my kids. She used to make oatmeal and cream of wheat all the time. I used to get so full of milk it would squirt out.
    lupe7

Answer by lupe7 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 6, 2008