Why do YOU think women know so little about their bodies?

I am consistently surprised by how little grown women (women with children no less) know about their bodies... Why is this? Are they simply not paying attention, are they not being taught, or are they simply not trying to learn? I mean, if you don't know how your reproductive or sexual systems work, chances are, you shouldn't be using them!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Health

• LOL Well I think most do but they are a little unsure so they come on here and ask even if it makes them look foolish
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:41 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I dunno, I actually had a lady that was going to argue with me over terms. I used the word Vulva, which she had never heard of... When even basic terms are misunderstood how can we expect there to be any actual understanding of how the stuff works...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• LMAO! I swear to you I did not know how the 'cycle' worked until I was consciously trying to get pregnant the second time! I mean I knew you had eggs that were released and I knew you had a period and I knew it was 28 days... I didn't know you ovulated once a month and that that was the prime time to get pregnant. I was thought in school that any time you had sex you *could* get pregnant so I thought you just randomly had eggs in the Fallopian tubes! The school was so bent on getting us afraid of getting pregnant that they skimmed over some details and my parents never supplemented at home so I just never knew! I told my mom what I learned at the Ob/gyn and she couldn't believe I didn't know. I was like 'Mom! You never told me!' She assumed the school did it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• people are usually happily ignorant
    SamKJones

Answer by SamKJones at 7:47 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I blame my mom. Everything I know I have had to learn on my own and it is SOOOO frustrating. The only thing she told me was about periods before I had mine and even then he didn't go into detail. Just said at some point I'm going to start and not to freak out when I find blood... thats it. And I was home schooled (sooo against it) and because of that I didn't know ANYTHING because what little schools teach I didn't get. I didn't even know what a yeast infection was or how common they are. I had to look up my symptoms to figure it out. That was embarrassing as well when I went to the doctor about it. And so because of that I don't know a lot of the terms. I mean I have read them but since I was "taught" them I have trouble retaining things.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 7:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• some people only know what they teach them in school I know that since I have started taking some medical college coarses I have become very facinated with how every part of the body works muscles, bones and other systems of the body.
    And you never know everyones minds work differently just because they were taught doesn't mean they remember. For example it is now the end of the semester and even though I studied my butt off and really gave it my all. I can't remember everything I learned at the beggining of the semester and that was only a few months ago. So if they took health class in junior high or high school they may have forgotten some of it. Since for me was at least 6 years ago since I had health. Plus in high school lets face it most of us were not thinking of that kind of stuff we were thinking about sally sue drama and having a crush on jim, and ect. lol.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 7:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• lol also like But Mommie I didn't know how my cycle worked until this year since I am now ttc.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 7:50 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Many reasons. Schools don't teach much of real value on the subject, parents are either too embarassed or just don't care, women who reach the age of trying to have children or just being sexually active without knowing what they should don't think they need to research or just don't know where to start. I thought I knew a lot but found out how very little I knew once I was pregnant with my first baby. I intend to make sure my daughter knows everything about this subject.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 7:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I also only received the period talk from my mom. i figured out everything else on my own. I went to a religious school which made it even worse as far as learning about your body. I had to tell my mom i needed a bra. I will definitely be more open with my kids so that they feel comfortable in there own skin.
    Ebonie83

Answer by Ebonie83 at 8:23 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Parents often don't know. Heck doctors don't know...they could educate, but I've gotten mis-information from my doctors. I had a tubal pregnancy, and lost one of my tubes and the ovary as well. I was told that I would probably never have another baby, and that I would start menopause earlier because I only had one ovary. Well, I had 2 more babies....found out that your chances of conceiving don't change because both ovaries have way more eggs than we could possibly use, and they don't take turns releasing eggs anyway, either ovary can release an egg any given month, so if you lose an ovary, the other ovary takes over for it.....additionally, because you have so many eggs, you don't go into menopause early.....and I can attest to that, because I'm 49 and have never missed a period. I got all the wrong information from doctors over the years, and had to research to get the right information!!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:41 PM on Dec. 14, 2010