Are you planning ahead for 'empty nest syndrome' and how?

daisydays171

Asked by daisydays171 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• I did not and my son left young 17 so now empty nest. Too a while to get used to it, cried for a while. Now I can do what I want when I want and it is awesome. Dont know if there is anything you can do to prepare.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I am really trying to make sure that hubs and I are connecting on an "us" level and not simply centering our conversations around the kids.... but it is REALLY hard since we have 3 active kids.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 7:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I have prepared, but sometimes it's still difficult. My youngest is 19 and just moved out, my middle son is 21 and still at home. I've been a sahm mom for a long time. I used to freelance write, and I'm happy to have time to do that again, I also love to sew, and have started taking better care of myself, walking swimming, going to the gym and riding my bicycle. I really am enjoying the new phase of my life, more romance with my husband, and the freedom, and I'm excited to see my boys becoming young men, but I can tell you that I've cried my share of tears, and feel a definite sense of loss as my children grow up.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• no
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 8:10 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• no it scares the hell out of me to even think about it....
    firechickk

Answer by firechickk at 10:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My daughter is 18 and will be going to university in September, and my younger daughter will be 14 in March.  So we are getting close lol.  My husband and I have been re-building our social life so we are looking forward to the empty nest.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:55 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Yes, I have a plan for empty nest syndrome. I will be a foster parent:) I was a foster parent for years and ended up adopting three children from the foster system and decided to focus only on my children until they are much older. When my kids leave home, go away to college whatever and I have free time to devote to other children, I will be a foster parent again.

Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 9:47 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Our son is heading off the college in the fall, we'll socialize with friends more and we've got some "us time" weekends planned but we don't feel tied down right now anyway. But I'm sure one day I'll come home from work and the house will seem a bit bigger and quieter, and there'll be more leftovers in the fridge, I guess I won't know until then... *sigh* I guess that's our job as parents: raise 'em, train 'em, guide 'em and pray they fly right.
    tonemgub

Answer by tonemgub at 1:17 AM on Feb. 4, 2011