Is it helpful to use flushable liners in cloth diaper while breastfeeding?

I keep reading that flushable liners when used with pocket or AIO cloth diapers are great once the transition has been made to solid foods. Are they not useful while breastfeeding since the solid waste isn't really "solid?" I'm a first time expectant mother so not sure what to expect! I want to try cloth but am concerned about getting my husband on board if it's pretty difficult/"gross" to do.

aberto

Asked by aberto at 7:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DH isn't loving the idea of cloth at all! But I'm not giving him the option. I'm the one that's home with the kids full time and the one that will be doing most of the diaper changes. That said, I don't see why there would be a huge difference between BFing and not. This is my 3rd baby and although their poops are less solid at that point if you get yourself a "diaper sprayer" you don't have to worry about the mess either way. Just take the diaper and spray in to the potty... Then put the diaper in the wash or diaper pail.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:49 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• For the first few days I used liners for the meconium because it stains. I nursed both my kids and until they started some solids then the poop went right in the wash. Once they started solids then I used a spatula to scrape it into the toilet and then put it in the diaper pail and washed.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:02 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Exclusively breastfed baby poop can go right in the wash. If you get something fleece-lined it won't even stain and BF baby poop isn't really gross... it's kinda sweet or popcorn smelling. Not bad at all!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:31 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I've never used them. As a PP said you can wash EBF poop without rinsing the diaper. The first spring we were in our house tree roots grew into our sewer line. We used to use those flushable wipes and when the roots got inot the line, we had a horrible mess. So now we only flush toilet paper and pee and poop down the toilet. I wouldn't use the flushable liners siimply because they aren't good for the sewer lines. I just rinse the diaper in the toilet when it's poopy now. I have a pair of gloves I keep in a lidded container for that purpose. A lot of times now, though, the poop just plops right out and no rinsing is needed. My husband rarely changes poopy diapers. He's totally grossed out by them whether they are disposable or cloth. He says a poopy diaper is a poopy diaper and it's gross.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:34 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• We plan to use liners when we start doing solids in a real way. Using them for meconium is a good idea.

Cloth is easy. It's not more or less gross than disposables. EBF poop is way different than food poop or formula poop. It's not bad,
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• i used the flushable liners with my ebf baby and they worked fine normally. i didnt flush them though. i just threw them in the dirty diaper pail that my older daughters regular diapers went in. there were times though that the liners didnt do much, but it wasnt bad, i was a little weird about putting it in the washer, so i would rinse them first (and then have to wash the sink) now when we use cloth i just toss them in bag and all and they come out fine. my hubby really didnt have to much of a problem with the cloth either, we both have weak tummys and it wasnt so bad (not nearly as bad as cleaning up after a sick child)
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 8:28 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• you do not need liners if you ebf just rines with cold water and wash.
    martat

Answer by martat at 11:09 AM on Dec. 15, 2010