How do I stop my breastmilk?

I stopped breastfeeding my son when he was 7 months. He is now almost 13 months and I am still lactating. Any advice?

LilLegs

Asked by LilLegs at 6:35 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Contrary to what others may say, DO NOT bind the breasts. This can cause an infection. Many women are known to still have a small amount of milk for a few YEARS after weaning, while others only have some for days or weeks. Do nothing. The cold cabbage leaves in your bra are not a bad idea, but they are mostly to help you dry up if you are painfully engorged.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Try taking an antihistime. Also ask your doctor, they can prescribe something to help dry you up.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 6:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Try just expressing once a day for a few days, that did it for me. Don't pump/feed/express too long tho or you will stimulate the milk.
    katythemm

Answer by katythemm at 6:40 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Just pump an once out of each breast when you pump. This tricks your body into thinking your baby doesn't need the milk. Get an ace bandage and wrap it tightly around your breasts, called "binding". Don't warp it so tight it hurts, but tight enough that it starts to stop milk production and keep you from swelling more. I only had to do the wrapping for a few days and it stopped coming in. Wrapped it over a bra BTW.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 6:53 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Put cabbage leaves on our breasts. Sounds gross but it is the only thing that worked for me every time. My doctor is actually the one that told me to do it.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 7:33 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Many children can benefit from your production, particularly your own. Why not look at donating to help those that so desperately need that golden juice? It is a true shame to waste that miracle milk.

Anonymous

• No standing in warm showers, this is also a stimulus. I didn't breastfeed so when I was waiting for my milk to go away I used Ice packs. Hope leaking stops soon!!!!
    shanny35

Answer by shanny35 at 8:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• With my oldest I BF for three months and I was still able to express (not copious amounts by any means) a small amount until he was almost 3....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• drs don't perscribe anything for you as they were found to be dangerous. milk can take its time to go away I haven't been milk free since I had my first (5 yrs ago) even in between babies.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 12:26 AM on Nov. 8, 2008