what do you think of online colleges?

I would like to take some courses to get a diploma as a veterinarian assistant. online courses would fit my needs the best. i was looking into penn foster as my # 1 choice! What do other moms think? Thank You

lnkforever

Asked by lnkforever at 8:31 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in

• Just make sure you are getting a good one. I did PCDI a few years ago, then they were bought out and "LOST" my payment information. I have paid them off, sent them proof of this payment MULTIPLE times and still have yet to get my paperwork out of them... Beyond that, there really isn't any difference between online and classroom for most things. Today even many "classroom" classes are done online or by DVD... So I don't see a huge difference.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:35 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I have only done online classes through a University of which I can physically attend classes at. I never have done them thru online only schools, so I would just make sure the program is legit for your area
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I take my classes online. Kaplan University.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 8:42 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Im specifically looking into penn foster so if anyone has info on that school it would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks though for what you have given so far!!!
    lnkforever

Comment by lnkforever (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Penn Foster is NOT regionally accreditedwhich means that if you ever want to go to another college or continue your education, your credits would not transfer. Personally, I wouldn't waste $700 on them for a "fake" diploma. If you truly want to do online classes, there are colleges and universities out there that offer their programs 100% online. And by going through a real college, you will be eligible for Pell Grants, scholarships, etc.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:52 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• TO JeremysMom - so how would i find out if a college is is regionally accredited? And this may seem like a dumb ? but what do you mean by A FAKE diploma? Thank you
    lnkforever

Comment by lnkforever (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• You can find out if a college is regionally accredited by looking on their website. Most of the time I find it on the very bottom of the page. If all else fails, do a search on " Is such and such college regionally accredited" and one of the top search results should show up as the accreditation page. As far as a "fake" degree, yes, you will get a piece of paper saying that you completed their requirements however, most nationally accredited and for-profit schools do not have the best reputation for offering good instruction. Their main focus is to make money, not to give you a quality education. Also, most employers will not even consider interviewing someone that has a degree from a for-profit school. Their are exceptions to this. One of the exceptions is vet assisting. Cont...

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:08 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• The AVMA has listed Penn Foster as an approved training program, but keep in mind that if you ever want to continue your education. You will have to basically start over, because your classes will not transfer to another college. If you are wanting to do Vet assisting online, I would suggest Cedar Valley College. You can do the program online and if in the future, you want to take more classes and get an associates degree, you will be able to do this. I will post the link in my next reply. Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:12 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• JeremysMom

• Oh thank God....I just double checked to see if Kaplan is regionally accredited and it is. I was almost positive it was, but you know how those doubts creep in! LOL.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2010