Santa or no santa?

Please no bashing but I was curious to know what you thaught about teaching kids about santa claus? I can see both sides to a point but just curious to know what you think.

iluvmymomasboys

Asked by iluvmymomasboys at 8:43 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• No Santa. He's not what Christmas is about.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 8:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• We don't do Santa. We don't shelter our kids from Santa, but we also don't tell them he's real either. They still get Santa stories and movies, but like any other TV or story character they know he's not a real life guy. We believe in leading by example and since we feel it's important to impress on our kids that even "white lies" are wrong, we feel it would set the wrong example by teaching something we know to be untruthful.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• We don't really teach or not teach. We answer questions they may have. We do watch a lot of holiday movies from traditional to the newer ones.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Santa!reindeer 2

LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:05 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Umm...where are the rest of the reindeer and Santa? ^^^^^^^
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:06 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Believe, although I seem to be getting more and more slack about it and how I'm only hurting and lieing to my kids...blah blah blah.
    BAH HUMBUG!
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• We don't do the Santa thing. I don't really have anything against it, but it has always seemed silly to me. My kids know Santa is just a fun story.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:37 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Personally, no santa.
    mama10johnsons

Answer by mama10johnsons at 10:32 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My 2 yr old son is just now figuring out who Santa is from shows, songs, books etc., but I haven't decided whether to tell him it's not real right away or wait until he figures it out later. Part of me wants to be up front right away so he doesn't have the disappointment later, but I do like some of the magic of Christmas that I remember from my childhood. I don't feel like I was traumatized by believing it for a few years, and I didn't try to ruin it for younger kids once I knew (I thought it was fun to see how excited they were).  I'm not sure how we'll handle it yet, but I guess we need to figure it out soon. ;-)

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My step-son believes that Santa is a man in the north pole with lots of helpers. My step-daughter has recently come to the conclusion that Santa is everyone and not just one person. My kids are taught that Santa is the man in the mall that mommy and daddy has them take pictures with, but as far as the person goes, the one who give them presents is mommy and daddy and Santa helps by having mommy and daddy fill out an application and then God tells Santa to tell other people what presents to get and give to mommy and daddy to wrap them up and give to them.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 10:50 PM on Dec. 14, 2010