No "baby momma" drama?

My husband has a child from a previous relationship when he was in high school. I have always treated my step-son like he was my own (we've been together since he was 18 months). At first his "baby momma" hated my guts making up all kinds of accusations that I abused him (none of which are true, I cry if I have to put him in time out). I'm very non-confrontational, and I just always took it. Now, her husband is leaving her and I feel really sorry for her. She's been hateful in the past, but I just feel like lending her a shoulder (she doesn't have many friends due to her past promiscuous activities). Is it strange to want to be friends with my step-son's mom?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• Ummm, after the way she treated you I would say "yes." So what happens when she gets jealous of your situation? Will she just act out and have you arrested?
    momofkids

Answer by momofkids at 8:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with being friends with your stepsons mom espeically in her time of need.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Not strange. It could work out really well for the boy, but at the same time I don't think I would tell her anything too personal because it might come back to bite you in the butt.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 8:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Not at all and I think it is admirable of you. This is your stepson's mom and by being friends with her you are showing him that you care about his mother. I think it is wonderful when all people involved in a child's life can get along and be friends.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 8:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Not strange at all...and actually its a breath of fresh air to hear someone trying to be civil in this situation like this. Too many immature women on here, and yes, I'm in this situation and I get along with my ex-husband and his girlfriend for my SON's sake.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• She hasn't made accusations in a few years. I think they were because she was jealous of me. Kinda like "I don't want him, but I don't want him to be happy." No matter what happens, she'll always be part of our lives so I want to try to make the best of it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• No, I think it's wonderful and admirable.. We could all take a page out of your book..
    ObiRenKenobi

Answer by ObiRenKenobi at 9:02 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Its very commendable that you are willing to help out the mother of a son you love as your own. You aren't just doing it for her you are doing it for him as well and in the end that is what matters. Just tread lightly, your intentions are good but sometimes people will take that for granted.
    ditchen4

Answer by ditchen4 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• just becareful. like you said she hasn;t done it in a few years maybe because she had someone else. but now that she is alone again it might come back. if she did it once most of the time she wont change. but i say go for it. if you can be friendly i say that is a great thing. you are a bigger person then i would be. i would not be friend's with my daughter's girlfriend if someone paid me. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:10 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• No, it's not strange. When my ex-husband and I split up, we were both young,and very immature. We both said and did things to one another's current spouses that was way out of line. But, time matures us all,and now, his wife and I are very close. Not best friends, of course, but I can see how much she loves my kids, and what a great step-mom she has always been to them. In fact, she and I have talked about going on the Amazing Race. We figure we'd get on just on the novelty of our team name, "the former wife, and the current wife." LOL.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 14, 2010