Why is it that people on welfare think nothing about adding another child to their family?

And this is a serious question.
There are several moms ive read post on cafemom about either being needy or seriously struggling just to get by and buy groceries but they already have how ever many children and they are pregnant again.

What is it that makes you think it is ok to be on long term welfare, food stamps, medicaid whatever and keep having children?

This is not for recently divorced single moms or the disabled etc.
This is a mom and dad struggling but continue to have children.
I honestly dont understand knowing you are barely getting by and on PA why you would have more children?

Do you feel its your right? Do you not care that others who pay taxes into the fund pay for your childs food? (Medical is obviously different as well)

Dont bash, it is truly an honest question.

Sandyr911

Asked by Sandyr911 at 9:10 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• So? That's none of your business, and a personal choice.
    Anonymous

• Around here, the more kids they have,the more they get in food stamps. So, why not keep popping them out? Disgusting, and repulsive,but that's the way it is.
    Anonymous

• can of worms

khf22

Answer by khf22 at 9:13 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Some women do have more children to collect more money, But times have gotten really rough out there and some women are single trying to raise their children on their own. So it is there if you need it and the time is very limited on how long you can collect it. Right now the jobs are not out their for people to work and you do have to work to get cash assistance.
    Lovingthegame

Answer by Lovingthegame at 9:14 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• All I will say is not everyone gets pregnant on purpose. I was using THREE kids of BC when we got pregnant this time. The LAST thing we wanted was another child, we were more than done. Now, I agree, if you can't afford the ones you have you shouldn't be TTC, but honestly, I don't understand anyone TTC (there are just to many kids that need adopting for me to understand someone trying to have a baby)...

I guess I just don't assume they TRIED to have another baby. And I'm more than enough proof for me that BC simply doesn't always work!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:14 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I know what you mean, but when my husband and I were truly struggling after he lost his job, we couldn't get food stamps or any assistance. Too many people milk the system so there is nothing left for the honest people.
    BellasMom185

Answer by BellasMom185 at 9:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Not everyone is on welfare, and even some of the ones that are pregnant didn't try to have another baby. If they get pregnant accidentally, do you expect them to abort it? Personally, if I couldn't afford to take care of my child/children I wouldn't try to have another baby, though.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• No im seriously not trying to open a can of worms, it is a very honest question.

And yes i stated the medical isnt the same nor is a single mom that the dad isnt helping out.
    Sandyr911

Comment by Sandyr911 (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My fiance and I both work but I'm only part time (72hrs every 2 weeks) and do not qualify for medical insurance. I have a son from my previous marriage and he is taken care of, but while planning our wedding we accidentally became pregnant and I needed health insurance, so until we are married I'm on medicaid. Not everything is planned and we do the best we can and BOTH work hard. I'm a nursing assistant and it's back breaking work ...AND I do it pregnant, but I do it because I have/need to provide for our family. Believe me, I hate being on assistance but some people don't have that choice at times.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Bellasmom i agree.
    When i was a single mom i couldnt get anything and I struggled ALOT and the last thing on my mind was having another child.
    Sandyr911

Comment by Sandyr911 (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Dec. 14, 2010