When did your kids stop taking naps?

My son turned 3 in August and he has been off and on with his naps. He's not in any preschool and is only home with me for now. It gets super frustrating when he doesn't nap and then we both get cranky, him because he's tired and fighting it, me because I look forward to that hour or two to myself! Any suggestions?

Nunyabiznes

Asked by Nunyabiznes at 6:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When they started full school days (1st grade).
    Anonymous

• My 4 yr old was about 2 when he stopped napping..instead he sleeps 12 hours at a time.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 8:35 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• If he doesn;t nap I would make him take quiet time. Read some books or watch a movie in his room with the door closed. Moms need some time too.
    shanny35

Answer by shanny35 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I agree with the quiet time idea. And to answer your question, my son is just now dropping his naps (he just turned 4). He still naps 2 or 3 days a week on average, though. But he has quiet time every day.
    Abqmomof2

Answer by Abqmomof2 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• My daughter stopped when she was about 2 1/2, but she is also a good sleeper and sleeps from about 8 or 9 pm until about 9 am so I think it depends on how much your son is sleeping at night. If you want him to keep napping (for the convenience of alone time) then I would suggest keeping him awake slightly later and/or waking him earlier. If you feel like he needs to give up his nap, do the opposite. Follow his cues, because sleep needs vary among all people, children included.
    I hope that helps!
    mommee_b

Answer by mommee_b at 9:57 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I also agree about the quiet time as an alternative. That way, if he is sleepy, he will probably climb in bed anyone when left to his own devices.
    mommee_b

Answer by mommee_b at 9:59 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• give him down time, and put him to bed a little earlier every night so he will get enough sleep. this is a hard transition (imo) so try to keep everything else on a schedule until he adapts.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 12:57 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• wow..my daughter stopped naps completely by 1 1/2..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:57 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• One stopped at 4 and the other at 23 months, my 16 mo old is taking a very short nap each afternoon now. I do not agree with quiet time, so they don't have it. If he doesn't want a nap, don't make him. Get use to it, you are a mom and gave up your right to "time to yourself" during the day when your child was born.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 9:58 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Quiet time is good for everyone - your child as well as you. We all need a little down time during the day. DON'T let anyone like that last poster make you feel bad about it. If we don't take care of ourselves as moms, we won't have anything left to give to our kids!
    Abqmomof2

Answer by Abqmomof2 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2008