What should I do...Crib...Toddler Bed?

My daughter is 27 months and never tried to climb out of her crib once. Everyone in my family is telling me to switch her to a toddler bed.(even my mom has recently taken down the crib at her house and demanding she sleeps in a bed at her house)...mainly for space reasons in my daughers bedroom there.) I bought her a toddler bed for her 2 year birthday but havent wanted to switch her. She sleeps great in her crib and i dont see a reason to switch her yet when things are just fine. The day she climbs out of her crib I will set her toddler bed up and work on switching her. Am I wrong for letting her stay in her crib til now or until she tries to climb out? I just dont get why everyone says "oh shes still in her crib! Its time for a toddler bed"

falanlee

Asked by falanlee at 9:49 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Correction she is 28months. 29 months on Jan 8th.
    falanlee

Comment by falanlee (original poster) at 9:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My daughter (31 months) would still be in her crib if my son (5) hadn't broken it. I don't see any need for them to move to a toddler bed until you and the child are ready. She took to her bed right away though, but we put a gate up in front of her door because she likes to get up if it isn't there. It's really up to you when she's ready. GL
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 9:55 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I changed DS over at 15 months because i wanted to change him over before he climbed out and hurt himself
    Anonymous

• Nope, don't switch her. If she sleeps fine, keep her there until either she climbs out, she outgrows it completely, or you need to use it for a new baby. No reason to change something if it works just fine....if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 10:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Don't change her out of it until you are both ready. If she sleeps fine in it I would wait. If you are worried about how she is going to adjust to a toddler bed then you could use your mom's house as a trial run since your mom doesn't want a crib at her place anymore.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:10 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• well, we tried it out this past saturday at my moms and she went down at 8pm and woke up at 4am She didnt get out of the bed but called for me for 20 minutes. I finally went in because my moms house is on one level and I didnt want her to wake anyone else up and brought her into bed with me. Im guess I pretty decided I wont switch her into a toddler bed untl needed or until we find out were pregnant. Even at that pointIf im pregnant im not sure if I want to switch her out. right away Im thinking because Shes the type that if there are no bars keeping her in that she will get out of bed and explore in her room at night.
    falanlee

Comment by falanlee (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Do whatever you feel is right. If you have a convertible crib, take the side rail off and let her use it as a day bed. Or, why not ask her where she wants to sleep? I had both the toddler bed and the crib in my son's room and just got to asking "which one?". He kinda went back and forth for a while, then stopped asking to sleep in the crib. I just gave it away last week.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 12:17 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• well, you can't let your mom do the trasitioning. you have to do it. it was strange for her to wake up to something unfamiliar. it would be better if she was in her own room at her own house.
    i finally transitioned my little girl to a toddler bed when she was 2 years old. She LOVED her new bed. I didn't have any problems with her staying in bed at night.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 4:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I have one of the transitional beds and changed the bed from a crib to the toddler bed at about 26 months. She was very excited about having a big girl bed and that she could climb into and out of the bed by herself. Every child is different; try it every once in a while and see how she reacts. She will let you know when she is ready.
    DebHart71

Answer by DebHart71 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2010