What do you do when you want to get rid of your kids for a night or two?

I'm at the end of my ropes right now. I'm very short with my kids right now and I really need a break before I snap. I've only lived in this new area for a few months so I don't have any friends. My husband deployed right after we moved here. I have some family but they wont take my kids for more then a few hours. Also I have two kids and they will only take one kid at a time.
I really need a night or two away from both of them at the same time. I don't know what to do I'm really at the end of my rope right now.
What would you do in my position

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Not saying this is where she's at however when it comes down to it she might be close to doing something hurtful. You don't know her situation and it's not right to judge her about it. She says she needs a couple days away NOT a few weeks or months. There's a huge difference. She used the wrong word but you would know what she meant.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 10:52 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• How old are the kids?
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 10:04 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Do you have an older teen that lives nearby that you know? You could pay that person a little bit to watch your kids while you are there, but just not having to deal with things. He/she could take them outside to play in the yard while you get stuff done, or they could watch a movie with them. Good luck. I feel for you!!
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 10:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Find a drop in daycare like "Playdate" and get a couple of hours away from them at least.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:10 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I would try and get in touch with some of the other wives that DH/SO's are deployed with your husband. See if any of them might be able to help. Also, I know when my sister's husband was gone she highered a college student to come and stay with her son every Wednesday night. She would go get coffee or grocery shopping, anything to get out of the house for a couple of hours. I think she paid her $10.00 and hour, although I am sure you can work something out if that is to much money.

Also, check with the local park and rec they might have a play group that you could get involved with so you can meet other moms.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:17 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Have you sat down and had an honest conversation with your family? Maybe if they know exactly where you're at they will be willing to take both of them. However you might have to play it up a bit. Cry and say you can't handle it right now and you NEED a couple days away that you don't know what else to do.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 10:47 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• 3 and 1
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My five year old goes to her cousin's house.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 10:10 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• No i dont know anyone and I've searched for drop off daycares and their prices are outrages they want to charge my $50 for only 2 hours for 2 kids
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I agre with crafty. I've got 5 kids ages 8, 7, 5, 4, and 6 months of age and I would NEVER think about trying to get rid of them for any reason. If I feel like I need a break then I wait until after the kids are asleep and then I break out the bath salts and use that time to relax. But I would never EVER just "get rid" of my kids, no matter what.
    I can understand you might be feeling stressed since your husband was just deployed, but there are groups out there for women who have husbands in the military, and there must be a base somewhere around you (if your not already living in one). Find it, talk to the commanding officer and see if he can help you find a group of women to talk to. It sounds like stress and you need to find other women who have been where you are at and can help you out. You don't need to get rid of them babies, it's not their fault your letting stress get the better of you.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 10:37 PM on Dec. 14, 2010