Can you dye your hair if your pregnant?

I've heard you shouldnt. is this true??

garciaz

Asked by garciaz at 6:44 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Yes, you will be fine. Nothing is transfered to you or the baby. That is like an old wives' tale
    katythemm

Answer by katythemm at 6:47 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I think you are going to find yes and no answers. No one knows for sure if dying your hair can harm your unborn child however many woman do dye their hair while pregnant and have happy healthy children. There hasn't been any real studies on this since it would be unethical to experiment on an unborn child. I have heard woman say it is fine as long as someone does it for you, keep the room well ventilated, and stay away from dark colors. I have also read that that your body can absorb the harmful chemicals (like any) and thus so can your unborn child. Another factor is what it can do to your hair. Your hair may become very dry and brittle since much of your nutrients are now going to making a baby. Sorry, there just isn't a yes or no answer on this one.
    Colleen801

Answer by Colleen801 at 6:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• you probably shouldn't because of the chemical smell but as far as the dye setting it might not work, I went to a hair salon and was going to dye mine when preg. and they refused to do it they said it'd be a waste of time and money because of the high hormones in your hair while preg. it won't set and just wash right out.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 6:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• im a studying cosmetologist and i also saw on The Doctors (TV Show) that its ok ...take more caution during the 1st trimester...during your last tri u r totally fine
    thelook151

Answer by thelook151 at 7:01 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Its safe to do my hairdresser is more then willing to dye my hair if i want it done. how ever for whatever reason when your prego it doesnt always set like it should and you take a chance that it will wash out quickly.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 7:12 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• you can dye your hair, but it may not take well to th hair because of hormones i guess
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 7:21 PM on Nov. 7, 2008