did you know 1 in 100 people have schizophrenia?

I just learned this, it was recently suggested that my brother may have this, by his therapist, but its been very difficult to find someone to do a proper evaluation.
my brother has had times of psychosis and depression and paranoia. anyway, I'm feeling overwhelmed and lonely about how to help. if there as that many people with it, then I hope I can find members here to let me know that I'm not alone in coping with a loved one with this problem.

Imamom4sure

Asked by Imamom4sure at 10:59 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• My grandma has it. I never knew her as anything but a self-proclaimed "healer" who believed Russian cosmospheres were lazering her. When we were kids she was always trying to get us to drink her crazy brews made from kelp she picked up on the beach. At the same time, she was highly intelligent, and most people took her seriously the first time they heard her talk about her stuff.

I had a friend in college who confessed to me that she thought she was schizophrenic. She sometimes saw severed body parts on the floor in her college classes, and once she said her computer screen melted down through her fingers. She said she could smell "turtle eggs" in her backpack. At least she realized it wasn't real.

Even though I've seen this, I haven't experienced it on a personal level as you are. I'm so sorry! I know medications help with the paranoia, but often they take a lot of a person's personality away. Hang in there! :(
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:25 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• thanks for your response, my brother is highly intellegent and not everything he says is delusional, and I knew he has had episodes on and off for over a decade, but I never saw him as schizophrenic because I thought if he had that, he would be mostly deranged. But I am learning that I am wrong, he has had deranged moments, but not everyday or anything like that, its more the exception than the rule.
    Imamom4sure

Comment by Imamom4sure (original poster) at 11:32 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My uncle has been visited by aliens many times. It doesn't help that he lives near an air force base. When he is on his meds he is awesome and funny and has cool girlfriends and even owned a business that was very successful.

he went in a camping trip and forgot his meds and ended up in a facility for a long time. the treatment really works for many people as long as they stay on it. The best thing you can do for someone is to support them taking their treatment.

It also helped our family to have advance directives for his care in the event that he was unable to make informed choices for himself. Document everything. We only had some o of the care protocols in place and it was really hard to protect his property and business when he went for residential treatment.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:33 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• My mother was diagnosed with it~~but that was back in the '60s (when they would use "electric shock treatments" ). I'm sure the way they treat this now has advanced quite a bit. Know that there are many people who deal with mental illness (alot of them just don't talk about it). You are not alone. ((Hugs)) to you all
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 11:35 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Have a BIL with this problem. However, as you say,  "its been very difficult to find someone to do a proper evaluation."  He cannot hold a decent job.  Does not like to take his prescribed meds because they alter his personality so much.  But then is willing to shop doctors for all sorts of narcotics, stomach prescriptions, etc.  My DH has been carrying him for decades and has saved his life at least 3 times due to his drug use (overuse/abuse).  DH is finally coming to the end of his rope on the issue and realizing that we just cannot solve this problem for BIL.  We have to take care of ourselves and our son.  Hope you have better luck.

ChezBelle

Answer by ChezBelle at 11:36 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• again, all of your replies help for different reasons. and I am glad for them.

I am having a hard time, with how hard it is to get him the help he needs, and how my own family is also not getting the help they need as well, I feel torn apart and like I am not doing good enough anywhere in my life. and it's getting to me.

I really am so grateful that cm has this question area. I rarely use it, but I am too lonely tonight and can't believe how common this illness is. and it's triggering so many worries about the future.

I don't blame, Chezbell's dh, and I can totally relate to ecodani's description of her uncle being awesome and starting a business, my brother talks of doing this and he does have such a wonderful side to his personality, I used to be so close to him before his first episode, he had so much promise, it breaks my heart and I want my brother back. and I pray that my own children don't get this.
    Imamom4sure

Comment by Imamom4sure (original poster) at 11:52 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I'm sorry I have no advice or help for you, but here's a bump! Good luck and God bless.
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 12:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I understand your fear that your children will inherite this~~I too had/have the same fear for myself and my children. Is your brother on any medication. My Mom was but there were times she just decided she didn't want to take it anymore and that's when she snapped~~strangely too it was always in the summer. So much that I came to dread summer coming :(
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 10:27 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• 1%
    my uncle Ken has it. He was diagnosed at 9 after he had a series of violent seizures

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:28 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• And 27% of all American adults meet the criteria for 1 or more mental illnesses- Mental illness is the toughest illness to treat because the affected often times to do not have the ability to accept that their reasoning is affected- how do you reason through, accept and comply with treatments when your processing center (brain) is sick or broken?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:34 AM on Dec. 15, 2010