Been wondering this for yrs,didnt want to pry or be nosy..

My neighbors are a older couple now and have been Foster parents since we have lived by them.They told me when I first met them,right out of the blue,they told me they would never babysit that they raised theirs and that the days of kids were over,they were in their early 50's then.Like the same year they started being foster parents.Now I know they need things to help raise foster kids but ever since they started they had a new home built,drive brandnew suburbans the finest of everything which they have to get paid too,but this is gossip from other neighbors but they all tell me they only do it for the money.I have even heard a girl who lives with them say they take care of us for the money.You know everything seems fine over there,I'm not gawking at them,I just hope for them kids sake that's not true,they have been through enough.Does anyone know what it takes to be a foster parent?Like do they have to have a background check etc...?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• They do have to have checks. Usually they come into the home and do a study and you have to take classes. There is not really that much money in it so I don't think that it would have financed all of those things.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:03 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I don't know the exact prerequisite, but there are home studies done, criminal history checks, etc. I didn't think there was a lot of money to be had beyond basic cost of living expenses for the kids, but I could be wrong.

cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 11:18 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• You don't make very much being a foster parent, you usually spend MORE money than you make from the state. The background check is pretty detailed. You have a home study, criminal background, go to foster parenting class, you get occasional home visits. Anyone over 18 that lives in your house has to go through the background checks also.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I looked into fostering parenting ourselves. There are background checks and homestudy done and you have to take several classes. You also have to have any people you intend to babysit the children for you take the classes. I agree about the money too, there isn't much left over after the basic needs of the children you are caring for. I don't think many people do it for the money.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 11:24 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

*********************************

THIS.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:36 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• If that were the case, everyone would be fostering! LOL!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:09 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Sounds like those who like to "gossip" are a bit jealous of your neighbor's lifestyle. Foster Parents do NOT make enough $$ to build houses, buy cars, etc. Background checks are extensive and include criminal, mental, medical and yes, even credit histories.

As for the child who said "they're just doing it for the money"....she's probably heard the SAME gossip you have and is taking it as truth. Poor thing. These people could really care about their foster kids and the gossips could care less if any of them hear their mean words and take it to heart.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 9:18 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My husband and I are looking into start this after the new yr. You have to go through extensive background checks and home studies and classes to prepare you and what not. It isn't a real cake walk to become a foster parent.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 2:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• ummm.. I do not think that they make that much money.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My parents were foster parents (not to me, but to others) and they definitely didn't make money off it. Possibly the foster kids your neighbors have get SSI and they're taking it. That'd be my guess.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2010