anyone have a child with ODD?

anyone have a child with ODD? if so what are some ways to help with discipline when nothing seems to work?

firechickk

Asked by firechickk at 11:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• What is ODD?
    Anonymous

• oppositional defiance disorder
    firechickk

Comment by firechickk (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Oppositional Defiant Disorder. It sounds like a fancy name for a kid who just doesn't want to cooperate, but there does seem to be a science behind it, in which brain chemistry affects a child in such a way that they natural do the opposite of what they are expected or asked to do. Personally, I don't know how much of it is brain chemistry and how much is behavioral issues, but I know my brother has it. He is also ADHD. OP, is it usually in conjunction with ADHD? I kind of think so. For my brother, choline seemed to help. It's a natural supplement that helps the ADHD. Unfortunately, he refused to take it more than a couple times. LOL!

I wish I could give you more answers. The only thing I know is being extra careful to maintain strict boundaries and consistent. That's a lot of work for any parent, but especially for a parent of a child with ODD!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:14 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I don't know exactly how much it's related to ADHD, but as I understand ADHD, a child's brain is actually stimulated by conflict, so they seek and initiate conflict to basically self-medicate their brains. Or maybe that IS ODD, and I'm getting confused.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I have one but I am still working on ways to discipline. Good luck!
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• yes he has ADD to not the hyper activity tho...he is 12 and my 17 year old has ADHD but meds seem to help him a lot but the 12 year old we haven't found any meds to help yet....
    firechickk

Comment by firechickk (original poster) at 11:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Having the same problem with a nine year old boy with ODD. I have found that if I ask nicely for him, to do or stop doing anything, the results are alot better. Kids with ODD absolutely hate being told what to do. Just like us,as adults, would'nt go for our dh telling us(for example) to go clean our room right now. Hope that helped.
    megamamaw

Answer by megamamaw at 12:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I dont have a kid with ODD but I myself have it and I have noticed that if someone flat out tells me to do something or not to do something and treat me like they have a right to boss me around (Yes I know your the parent and you do have that right) I will do the exact opposite just to tick them off. Its not something that is easy to control I have known I have had it for 5 years and still have to fight myself not to give in to my impulses. If you ask nicely it might help and honestly I dont have alot of advice except do not get frustrated because I dont know why but mine seems to flare when someone has a reaction to it. Also dont order, ask without it being a question. Questioning them why they purposely disobeyed you will only frustrate them because they honestly wont know why if they have a true case of ODD and not just teeny rebellion thats been misdiagnosed
    Rockabye

Answer by Rockabye at 12:08 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My son has ODD. He has been in a residential treatment center for a few months now to work on this, and other issues as well. They have taught us the stop, think and go process. When i say stop, he has to look me in the eyes until I say thank you. He then has to do deep breathing until he feels himself calming down. I think ask him to think about the problem/what is upsetting him. He must give me three actions that he could do and the consequences of each action (he gives good and bad actions). He must pick the best action and go with that. Out of everything we have tried, this has worked the best. He does still get punished. But this is making him aware of the fact that he chooses the bad behaviors so he is choosing the bad consequence. He also takes clonidine for his aggression.
    StephDawn

Answer by StephDawn at 1:02 AM on Jan. 15, 2011