Can you really get arrested for "stealing" a shopping cart?

I need to go grocery shopping but I have no money for a cab home. I don't have a car. My husband insists that using the shopping cart to take the grocery's home is illegal. I am going to go at midnight when the WIC checks are valid because I am a night owl and there are no crowds. Can I really get in trouble if a cop were to see my sister and I walking home with a shopping cart full of grocery's? Hubby will take the cart back.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Honestly, I used to do it. We didnt have a car and we had to get our food home. We would walk to the store, shop and take the cart, we would always bring the cart back. Good Luck. No one ever said anything to us and we did it for about 4 months straight. Good luck. As long as you bring it back and Im sure you can maybe talk to the manager. Times are hard... everyone should understand that.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:44 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Unless you have paid for the cart or have permission to take the cart off their property, then yes, it is stealing and yes, you can be arrested for it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• yes stealing is stealing
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• You can the shopping carts are very expensive and it just depends on whether an officer would want to enforce that or not.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• where do you live.. don't you get free delivery? and depending in some places they may arrest you depending on store policy and most likely they usually don't allow customers to just take shopping carts..
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Why not just ask the store if it's okay to push it home and to have your husband bring it back?
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:28 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Yes it is illegal, but I bet if you ask the store manager & tell him your husband will bring it back tomorrow, he or she would be OK w/ that.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• in new york city the only people pushing shopping carts are the store delivery persons and people who live on the street. if you ask the manager to push the cart home he will just assume you want delivery and will send someone to take it home for you for FREE it's a courtesy for you shopping in the store. They will not give you permission to take the cart.. why because they do not beleive you will bring it back and carts are very expensive. plus sometimes you risk the chance that some person may steal it from you while you are putting your groceries up.. it has happened
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:43 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• So if I am understanding you correctly you are asking if it is illegal to steal?
    NessGuinness

Answer by NessGuinness at 11:17 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• No. I was asking if it WAS illegal to take the cart. Jeez thanks for your help.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Dec. 14, 2010