frustrated and in pain! (about breast feeding)

I just had my third son last friday, the 10th. He was able to feed right after birth, and we have EBF this entire time. It has been a bit of a struggle because he just doesn't seem to know how to latch "correctly". Up until today i was very worried that he wasn't getting much, even though he is producing stools and urine, and has gained an oz. since leaving the hospital. I had more relief tonight as I actually saw milk in the corner of his mouth when he fed.

My biggest issue is that I worry he still may not be latching properly and getting enough. I have not felt my letdown (I always have before) but my breasts are ENORMOUSLY FULL and I even have a couple blocked ducts already! I have tried warm wet compresses, manual and breast pumping to find releif and I have had none so far. I figured if my milk was in I should feel relief after he eats too,.... so I dont really get what is going on.

As far as his latching goes, he just doesnt open wide enough to fully take in the nipple/ areola. He purses his lips once he feels it and kind of sucks it in. Then it seems more like he is chewing. It isnt painful for me really..... but I have to sit and work his lips open once he is on.. and its frustrating. I even try to pull his chin down to help him but it doesnt really work. I took him to our family chiropracter to have her check him over for any neck/ jaw issues and he is o.k. Tried every posiion I can think of too...

He IS getting something.. he does have a little spit up after feedings, and he never really cries unless you change his diaper...lol. He sleeps a TON. I usually have to wake him to eat because he will go 4 hours.. I don;t feel comfortable with that. His pediatrician says he checks out o.k. though... so I am just not sure how to feel good about his eating and how to get some RELIEF!

HELP?!

VelvetCat

Asked by VelvetCat at 11:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You might just be making a ton of milk.

If the latch is comfortable, then you are fine. If diaper count is good, you are fine.

For the clogs, make an essential oil blend of 1 part eucalyptus, 2 parts lavender, 3 parts chamomile oils. Rub the blend over the skin where the hot spot is. Nurse nurse nurse. It will release.

This sounds like massive over supply.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:22 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Try to tickle the top of his lip with your niple to see if he opens wider for you. It worked for me, hopefully it will work for you.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 11:24 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Have you considered pumping and feeding him the breastmilk in a bottle? That way you know for sure how much he's taking. and Congratulations!!!
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 11:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• DO NOT switch to pump and feed- pumping WILL NOT give you the same amount the breast will, it will lower your supply, and you don't get all of the benefits, like the hormone releases for both of you.
    You might want to make an appointment with a lactation specialist or lactation consultant to check your latch and make sure it's working out well (it sounds like it might be, but peace of mind is priceless). Pediatricians are generally not experts in the ins and outs of breastfeeding, just in how much the baby is gaining, and the baby's health. It sounds like your little man is getting plenty, but again, it might be worth a visit to a LC.
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Often they are getting more than it seems, but you can keep track of the wet diapers. I would take him to a lactation consultant just to put your mind at ease and perhaps get some additional tips.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:41 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I think I would talk to a lactation consultant. When my daughter came home I had a few issues myself because she was given a bottle at the hospital (she was in the NICU). The lactation consultant told me to try a nipple shield - TOTALLY helped get a better latch. There a few ideas or "tricks" they can help you do to see if it works on him. Do keep in mind you may actually need to pump for a while before feeding because if you get too engorged your little one won't be able to latch on and this will be frustrating for both of you. Don't give up keep trying. Hugs! :)
    jillrebecca3

Answer by jillrebecca3 at 1:50 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• well, as soon as the baby's mouth opens, i shove my nipple in their mouth and they take to it right away. i don't wait for the baby to find my nipple.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 9:11 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• everything sounds fine to me. i have been told by lactation consultants that every single one of my children was latched incorrectly. but, i was never in pain, and they were gaining weight just fine. when my children were newborns i always felt like they weren't getting enough. as long as they have wet and poopy diapers, it really is okay.

DO NOT pump and feed him a bottle. the bottle will confuse him. and he is getting so much more from nursing then you would be able to get from a pump. join a breastfeeding group and they will tell you they can hardly ever get milk out with a pump. i was never able to get out more than an ounce. so yeah, skip the pump.
    Michelle451

Answer by Michelle451 at 9:31 AM on Dec. 15, 2010