Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How do I apply for SSI for my 14 yr old son?

His biological father receives benefits but I raise our child. Can I apply and how?


Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • No, it is not my son gets it and he is 10. He has been getting it foe years. He gets it because he is Autistic. If they have a disability then they can get it if they are approved. If they don't then if his father gets it he should get something because he is the father. They will not make him pay CS but he will get a check for him from the state if you take out CS on him. Hope I helped you. Good luck!

    Answer by LADYA1983 at 11:55 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • a 14 year old would obviously to be young to collect SSI benefits! unless of course they have been working since they were born. SSI is for seniors, or retired adults.

    Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:25 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • Then what would he be able to collect if his parent was receiving benefits under SSI/disability?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • Depending on how much his father made in his lifetime, you may be entitled to receive a check for your son. Call them first thing in the morning and explain to them the situation and they should be able to tell you on the phone if there is enough out of his father's check for him to receive one. Good luck.

    Answer by shanienee at 11:56 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • I receive SSI/disability, but my children do not get any benefits just because I can't work.

    Answer by sweet29mom at 12:30 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • SSI is not just for senoirs. Its for people who are disabled.

    Answer by mommytoJames512 at 2:58 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • You can call & ask.

    Answer by sstepph at 9:34 AM on Dec. 15, 2010