Transplant may have cured man of AIDS, are you for or against stem cell research?

A very unusual blood transplant appears to have cured an American man living in Berlin of infection with the AIDS virus, but doctors say the approach is not practical for wide use. The man, who is in his 40s, had a blood stem cell transplant in 2007 to treat leukemia. His donor not only was a good blood match but also had a gene mutation that confers natural resistance to HIV.

Now, three years later, the recipient shows no signs of leukemia or HIV infection, according to a report in the journal Blood.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101215/ap_on_he_me/us_med_aids_man_cured;_ylt=Ao8yyos03K.XCDl865puices0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNwOGowdGJrBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAxMjE1L3VzX21lZF9haWRzX21hbl9jdXJlZARjY29kZQNtb3N0cG9wdWxhcgRjcG9zAzkEcG9zAzYEcHQDaG9tZV9jb2tlBHNlYwN5bl9oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawNyZXBvcnR0cmFuc3A-

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 11:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Health

• It is my understanding (as a scientist who works with stem cells) that embryonic cells used for research have to be fertilized in a lab (whether the lab is a fertility clinic or a research one). Aborted material isn't suitable for true embryonic stem cell research, mostly because the fetus is no longer an embryo. More developed stem cell lines can be established from aborted material, but not embryonic lines. Also, I've never heard of a single case of a woman getting an abortion in order to provide stem cells (embryonic or otherwise).

Human embryos that established the current lines were derived from fertilized embryos from fertility clinics. Those embryos would have been discarded/destroyed if they had not gone to research.

To answer the OP: I'm for research (obviously), although I'm not happy with human embryos being created for the purpose of research.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 1:46 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I'm all for it! I donated cord blood and stem cells to research when my kids were born and when I had a miscarriage. Hopefully someday there will be a cure for the spinal disease I have. I'd hate to see my kids have to live with it knowing there is no cure.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 11:29 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Yes, I am all for it I have MS and their is no cure and my son has autism. So I hope that they find a cure one day also.

LADYA1983

Answer by LADYA1983 at 11:47 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• 100% pro!!! IMO medical research cannot go too far as long as the patients and/or cadavers are willing and express so legally!!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Totally for it, as long as the stem cells used have been willingly donated. I've never understood why anyone has a problem with stem cell research.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 11:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• The harvesting of stem cells from abortion should not be permitted. The money involved drives the doctors to prolong pregnancies to grow more tissue and increase pain to the murder victim and complications to the mother. Well, it is just disgusting. Obviously it isn't necessary to go that route to get stem cells.  So why ask if I am for or against stem cell research in general when what you really want to know is if I see a difference between the various sources.  Yes, the source is important.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I agree with these guys for sure. I think as long as you have a willing donor, why not? There are SO many diseases that can be cured this way, and it's really sad how many road blocks medical researchers are hitting in this endeavor.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:57 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• 100 FOR stem cell research
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:10 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I think that the problem is not so much with adult stem cell research but for embryonic stem cell research. Obama lifted the ban that Bush placed upon it. Superman star Christopher Reeves was lobbied against Bush stating that he felt that stem cell research would one day allow him to walk again.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 7:06 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• im for the use of adult stem cells. I do not want to use embroynic ones....eeeewww im not really all for abortion.
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 9:23 AM on Dec. 15, 2010