having pregnancy symptoms but still test negative???

Hi all!

I'm new to the site so feel free to add me:) Anywho, back to my question.. I'm a little less than a week late for my monthly and I've been getting a few symptoms (sore swollen breasts, increased appetite, increased thirst) But I'm still testing negative. Could my symptoms be all in my head or am I maybe testing wrong??? After checking an online ovulation calender, I did have sex on my fertile day and ovulation day this month as well. Any suggestions or advice?
-whitley

misswhitley

Asked by misswhitley at 11:55 PM on Dec. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Make sure you are using your first morning urine to start off with. If you still get a negative result, call your doctor or local health department so you can get a pregnancy test done. Planned parenthood usually does them for free. Good luck.
    shanienee

Answer by shanienee at 11:57 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Well, sore breasts, increased appetite, etc are generally also associated with your period, so it really could go either way. Most women seem to have a decrease in appetite during the first trimester, as the nausea sets in. For me, even when the nausea went away, my appetite didn't return until 30 weeks (when it made up for lost time!). I haven't heard of increased thirst as a pregnancy symptom, but I could be wrong.
    Keep testing every other day until you get your period. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:59 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I'm thinking diabetes will cause you to be hungry and thirsty a lot. Maybe your hormones are messed up. Stress and life-changes can cause your period to be late. Just because you miss your period doesn't mean you're pregnant. And if you should have gotten your period a week ago but didn't you either calculated wrong when it should have come, or you aren't pregnant. Most tests are pretty good these days and don't give false results. Wait another week and retest. If it's still negative go see your doctor.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 12:00 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I kept getting negatives with my 2nd pregnancy til I was 6-7 weeks along. I think I'm pregnant now got 1 negative and I'm guessing the same will happen again.. so either the end of this week or next week I'm gonna take another test then I'll go get a blood test. Some times it can take a while to get a positive.. it's been 7 weeks since my last period.
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 12:00 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• First, an online ovulation calendar is NOT going to tell you when you ovulated. They use a stereotypical system that only works for 50% or less of women. The only thing that will tell you exactly when you ovulated is if you've been charting, using OPKS, or been having fertility treatments with trigger shots.
    Your cycle is comprised of two parts, the follicular phase(before ovulation) and the luteal phase (after ovulation.) The luteal phase is always the same, but the follicular phase can vary wildly - that's why some people have irregular cycles. So you may have just ovulated late - it happens even with people who typically have regular cycles, due to stress, illness, diet, etc.
    It's also possible to be pregnant with negative tests. Some people don't produce enough HcG to make a test positive for as long as two weeks after their missed period - some people NEVER get a positive test. All you can do is wait, really. GL
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 12:02 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I would test again in a few days.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 12:03 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• thanks for all the comments so far everyone!!! maybe a little more info from my side. I have in fact been testing with my first moring urine, as far as stress, no stress I'm pretty happy and carefree at this point:), this WOULD in fact be my first pregnancy. At first, I was a little nervous but now i'm very excited and wanting an addition to the family. I've been trying excersise, fertility foods, etc. Anyways, so it IS possible I could be pregnant and still testing negative?? I've heard your hormones double every two days is that also true?? And also is there any other signs i could look for in pregnancy like changes in fluid, maybe body temp or something??

oh and thanks for all the answers so far I really appreciate them
    misswhitley

Comment by misswhitley (original poster) at 12:25 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• maybe you should see a doctor if your period doesn't start.
    MarvelousMama

Answer by MarvelousMama at 12:34 AM on Dec. 15, 2010