Constipation!

DD is almost one and has been eating alot more food now. She only gets two bottles a day now and the rest is food. I've been giving her a sippy cup with apple juice and water every day too. Most days she will drink about one and a half cups full all day. I just set it out and whenever she wants it she goes and gets a drink, then goes off to play. But the poor thing is SOOOO consipated! I've had put prune juice and water in a bottle twice in the last week and give it to her. She just screams and screams while trying to poo and it's so hard. I hate seeing her like this. She gets juice and water every day, and I try to give her fresh fruit every day. I dont know what else to do for her. Anyone have any ideas? She is so miserable and I hate seeing her like this!

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 12:33 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The only other thing I know is to avoid certain foods like applesauce, dairy products, and starches for awhile...and give foods like peas, prunes, peaches, and pears to help clear her out. Then you can slowly start introducing the other foods back. Give her things that are high in fiber also, like oatmeal...and avoid grains that can constipate like rice. I think barley is also fine. It it still continues, my pharmacist said giving a small child glycerine suppositories is fine...but that is only a temporary solution. If it becomes a long-term problem, you should talk with your child's doctor.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 12:42 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Avoid the foods that cause her constipation. If there's still constipation after that, talk to her pediatrician.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:28 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Try a lower iron formula? if she's eating iron enriched cereal and formula she may be getting too much iron. Or skip the enriched cereal for regular oatmeal, you can put it in a blender dry so it's not as thick. Good luck, poor little thing.
    wadesmum

Answer by wadesmum at 5:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2010