a question for Christians about Christmas

i'm just wondering if you think God would want us to celebrate Christmas? i'm genuinely curious and not trying to stir the pot! please give me your best arguments and quote the Bible if you can

for some reason i feel strongly in my heart that God wouldnt want us to celebrate Christmas, at least in the way people celebrate it now, but other than the 'pagan holiday' arguments and 'Christmas wasn't really Jesus's birthday' i dont know why i feel this way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think this is an interesting question. I kind of agree with you since Christmas as more or less turned into a greedy holiday filled will gifts. I think people miss the message.hr Its about Family and remembering the birth of Jesus Christ. I think Giving to others and the less fortunate is what God would want. He wouldn't want us to go into Debt to show our loved ones they are appreciated. He would want us to be generous like he is generous but within reason. I think in reality.. he would want us to forget the selfishness of the whole holiday and just remember the good aspects of it.
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 1:01 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I believe it is a time to be joyful and thank God for an amazing, life saving gift! I believe God would want us to celebrate Christmas, would`nt you want someone to be excited about a gift you gave them?
    bb510

Answer by bb510 at 2:20 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• The Bible does not state that we are to remember/celebrate Jesus' birth. However, in Jewish tradition, there are celebrations that are set out to remind the Jews of important events in their history, specifically ones that involved God saving them. For this reason, I don't think that God has a problem with Christians remembering/celebrating the birth of Christ because it is His birth that ultimately saved us and fulfilled thousands of prophesies. Now, does He like the fact that we turn it into a gift-giving extravaganza? I doubt it. It is possible to be respectful to the meaning behind the holiday and still express our love/appreciation with friends and family and I personally use it as a chance to share my faith with others I might not normally have an opportunity to discuss it with. So long as you don't commercialize the holiday, I don't think it bothers God if you celebrate. :)
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 4:42 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I don't think God minds at all. 

least in the way people celebrate it now,

You can celebrate Christmas anyway you choose, in your home you can make it about anything.  In our house we focus on Jesus and the idea of giving of ourselves the way Jesus did. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:31 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• don't think gods care much about the activities of mere mortals, honestly
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:29 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I don't believe He's at all pleased with the materialism or those claiming to be His followers behaving as the world does. (1 John 2:15-17, James 4:4-5)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:10 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I seriously believe that if it were vitally important for us to observe Christmas,then we would have been given instruction(in the Bible)on exactly how and when to observe it.But I don't believe observing it is a one way ticket to hell either.(or not observing it for that matter)
    It's not important to salvation itself.
    The only thing I like about Christmas is the joy it brings to children.To me it's not about religion.But for some people,it can be very stressful and depressing.So I do think about those who are homeless,alone,sick,hungry or unable to have presents for their kids.I know it's not all about presents and toys,but my heart really goes out to all the children who have so much less than what most of us take for granted.Kids have a very special place in my heart.And I feel this way year-round,but at Christmas time it especially hits me hard.
    GingerKitten

Answer by GingerKitten at 8:39 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I honestly don't think He really cares either way.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:46 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I have read the argument from some extreme Christians that we shouldn't celebrate (btw, I consider myself a fundamentalist, but these people are way out there, even for me), and I've read their Scriptures they quote as why we shouldn't (if you are truly interested, I will try to look them up for you), but I don't think God minds. He knows we are human - He made us - and that we are social creatures, we enjoy spending time with family and friends. Even if we weren't celebrating Jesus' birthday, I don't think He would care that we have a winter holiday.

Answer by missanc at 9:03 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• i never really thought of that, but i guess thinking about it, He might not be too happy. It's not just a "winter" holiday, it's a holiday rooted in pagan traditions. so I guess He would'nt be too thrilled about us celebrating that.
    KateMc

Answer by KateMc at 9:14 AM on Dec. 15, 2010