Postpartum weight loss not happening !!

This is my second baby and she is 5 months now. I am breastfeeding but haven't experienced any weight loss yet. With my first baby I gained 60 lb because of severe preeclampsia and although I didn't start losing weight until he was 4 months, my weight loss from then on was constant. I didn't do any exercise nor was I dieting back then. I was just breastfeeding him and I was back at my pre-pregnancy weight (almost) by the time he as 9 months

This time around though i haven't lost any weight at all other than what I lost right after delivery. I have a horrible body image coz of my weight issue. I am 50 lb over my pre-pregnancy weight.

Did anyone else have these issues or am I the only one??! :(

silhouettes79

Asked by silhouettes79 at 12:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Your are never the only one. Never! we all have our schedule of where are body weight should be. You are a milk making mommy. Remember that is your #1 job today. You are amazing. When your body is ready you will lose.

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 1:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yes, I had that problem. I was big to begin with (pre-pregnancy weight was 232), and I gained 12 lbs during my pregnancy, but then 30 after, while breastfeeding. I had a voracious appetite while nursing, and my weight just crept up. I finally got serious about losing the weight a few months ago, and I'm down to 226 so far.
    Give yourself some time. Try to control your portions, and get out walking when you can. If you can't leave the house, or the weather is bad, try exercise videos.
    Some women lose weight nursing, some don't. Every woman is different, and each pregnancy and post partum experience is different.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:53 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Thanks for writing. I am actually not even eating that much. I used to get excesively hungry while breast-feeding my first child but i have a tame appetite this time. And I do plenty of running around after my toddler too. The only thing I noticed was that my menstrual cycle hasn't become regular yet. I remember last time around it became regular at 4 months post partum and that's when I started losing weight. Could that be the reason?
    silhouettes79

Comment by silhouettes79 (original poster) at 12:58 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I tried everything to lose weight after my son was born. I tried exercising, cutting calories..the whole bit, and really the only thing that worked for me was getting rid of carbs almost completely. It was really hard because I love the comfort foods, but worth it!
    bb510

Answer by bb510 at 2:09 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I had the same exact problem, including the pre-eclampsia issue with my first baby. I did a little dieting about 7 months postpartum with her (no exercising) and I lost 40 pounds in just a few months. After my 2nd child, nothing easy seemed to work. I dieted, I walked around the neighborhood, and still my weight hovered close to 200 pounds. I only changed my body when I buckled down hardcore and changed my eating habits to primarily fruits and vegetables, and went on a serious exercise regimen like our bodies are SUPPOSED to have. I eventually whipped myself into shape, lost 60 pounds and haven't felt this good since I was a young teenager, and I'm 34 now!
    As we get older and have more kids, many of us experience a slowing down of the metabolism and a tendency to hold onto the weight. Resist the impulse to crash diet, and just vow to eat right and exercise vigorously to make the change you're looking for. Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:00 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• 100% normal. Some moms lose while nursing, some moms GAIN... and many moms stay precisely the same. Weight Watchers has a great program for nursing moms. Remember... nine months on, nine months off... and the sexiest part of your body is the part encased in your skull. Anyone who judges you based on anything else can go jump in an icy lake!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2010