How do you store breast milk and in what do you store it in and for how long can you store it.

woodward7

Asked by woodward7 at 12:49 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Gerber, Medela, Playtex, and lansinoh all make BM storage bags. You can pour milk into the bags (or pump directly into the bags, if you have a particular attachment for your pump to do it) and freeze them for up to 6 months. If I'm storing it for a day or less, I would just screw the lid on one of the pump bottles and leave it in the fridge. Like regular milk, it's not advisable to leave it at room temperature for more than a couple of hours.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 12:52 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• there were plastic bags that came with my pump that I used, and then bought more when I was out and your able to freeze it (DONT microwave it) for a couple months
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:54 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Before you freeze the milk, put it in the fridge to let the temp come down, and don't let the bags lay flat in the freezer, because the milk will crystalize. To rewarm the milk, you can run it under warm/hot water, or put a mug of water in the microwave, then dunk the bag of milk in there on the counter.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:56 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• There are about a thousand different ways to do it. Bags, bottles, frozen, in the fridge, etc. Go to a search engine and do a search for breast milk storage. It'll make your head spin. lol
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 1:12 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I use lansinoh bags to freeze them. There are lots of different ways try out a few and pick the one that works best for you. :)
    jillrebecca3

Answer by jillrebecca3 at 1:28 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• They also have breast milk "ice cube trays" that freeze the milk in one ounce sticks.
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 1:32 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Since we depend on frozen breast milk we use the glass bottles. The milk sticks to the plastic bags (which we do use but I like glass more) I don't use the cheap tops with the disks that it comes with though. I buy the medela or dr. brown screw on lids. Depending on what kind of freezer you have and how well it works you can keep breast milk frozen for up to a yr!
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 5:46 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• For the stuff I was going to pump and use within a day or so I just put it in bottles in the fridge. For what I was pumping and storing for later I put in some glass baby food jars and froze. I don;'t know how long you can keep it, but mine only stayed in the freezer for about 2 months.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 9:14 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• It's probably been covered by now, but I have this magnet to stick on the fridge that helps remind you about storing time for freshly expressed breastmilk and thawed breastmilk (previously frozen). The chart may also be at www.medela.com if you need to check it out.

For fresh expressed b/m: @room temperature = good for 4 hrs, in a cooler w/ice packs = good for 24hrs, in fridge = good for 5-7days, in freezer = good for 3-4 months, in deep freezer = good 6-12 months

For thawed/previously frozen b/m: it's good in the fridge for 24hrs, DO NOT STORE at room temperature or in a cooler, and NEVER refreeze in freezer/deep freezer.

You can find several different brands of breastmilk storage bags, and they all do the same thing, and the bags make it easy to thaw/warm the breastmilk in warm water. If you do plan to freeze and store milk don't forget to date the bag with a permanent marker so you can track the dates.
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 9:54 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• To add on to my previous answer, if you've never stored breastmilk before, be forewarned that it will seperate when put in the fridge/freezer for extended periods, and that's completely normal. When you take it out and thaw it/warm it up just shake it well before or when you put it in the bottle so everything is mixed back together.

Hope everything works well for you and props for breastfeeding!
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 9:56 AM on Dec. 15, 2010