How much do you pay for childcare for an infant?

My friend had called me earlier today asking how I'm doing with my newborn DS and when I'm planning on going back to work if I do. He told me his wife is about to go back to work and that they're having trouble finding childcare. The conversation went on for a little while and I didn't think anything of it until after we said goodbye that he may have been trying to see if I would offer to babysit their daughter everyday since our newborns are so close in age but he may not have offered since I mentioned having been so tired. I would love to be a stay at home mom and just run a little at home day care for awhile instead of going back to work. I would charge substantially less than a daycare would. I just need to know how much day cares charge for infants and I'll probably be happy with half of that.

slowyourrole

Asked by slowyourrole at 12:52 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Around $24 a day or $3 an hour I think is the going rate here where I live.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 12:55 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• my babysitter is a home dayare and her normal rate is 35per day. She dropped the rate for me to 25. Most bigger daycares charge even more like 50 around here. You could call daycares and see what many home plaes charge.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:56 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Childcare varies in price from place to place just like housing, food, or wages.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 12:56 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I could be way off, but that's what I'm thinking it was like 2 years ago, and should be about the same now.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 12:57 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• You should call your local daycares and find out their rates. It will all depend on your area. Around here in-home daycares charge about $20 a day for a child and it includes food except formula.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:40 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• HA! I was just thinking about it...My first semester at school(16 weeks) I had to pay 5G for my infant son. I had to take out an extra loan and use all of my reimburstment money to afford it. When I got the state help with child care it reduced to $4, 750.72. Now I am in Detroit and my Spring Summer semester cost me 2G for 8 weeks. My worker didnt get me the childcare activated until after the fact and I asked if she could go further back in the start date so I cpuld get reimburst and it never happen so that was tough.It seems like I am the only person I know that has to pay out the ass for childcare. I hate it.
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 5:24 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• when my dd was an infant i believe it was $26 a day. it became less when she turned 1 and i think its different onces she is potty trained.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:43 AM on Dec. 15, 2010