How can i get my 2 year old off the bottle and on a sippy cup?

i have tried so many times but everytime i get him drinking out of a sippy cup somebody gives him his bottle back and i dont know what to do

andrewsmama0504

Asked by andrewsmama0504 at 1:36 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Offer only water in the bottle. Anything else you want him to drink, put in a sippy cup. As for the other people giving him his bottle, tell them to stop. Or hide the bottles. Also, there are sippy cups w/ soft spouts that are kinda like a bottle in material. Some find them helpful for the transition, esp. if you are just going to get rid of the bottles. Why are other people giving him a bottle? Are you talking about like baby-sitters or daycare? If so, TELL them that you are trying to get him off of the bottle. The good ones will work with you. If they are not willing to work with you on this, find someone else to watch your son.
    xv35ballx

Answer by xv35ballx at 1:49 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Thanks. He's not in daycare. Normally if i need somebody to watch him it's family. When he's with me he does fine. If i have to get somebody to watch him i dont take any bottles but they somehow find one to give him. I have told them countless times i'm trying to get him off of the bottle but nobody seems to listen.
    andrewsmama0504

Comment by andrewsmama0504 (original poster) at 1:53 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Thank you. I will try some of those ideas and pray they work
    andrewsmama0504

Comment by andrewsmama0504 (original poster) at 2:04 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Tell people to stop giving him the bottle back! Plain and simple. The child is old enough for a sippy.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:27 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• throw away the bottles. Have your child throw them away and have a big boy hoorah. And tell everyone they better listen and not give him a bottle or they will get smacked. I would NOT be ok with someone else going behind my back on that..but if he is still on the bottle I bet it isn't just other people giving him his bottle. It might be rough for a couple days but he will get over it. That seems old for a bottle.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 3:29 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• If the problem is other people giving him his bottle, then let all the people who watch him or who are responsible for enabling him, that there are NO more bottles, and either throw them all away or pack them up, or give them to someone else who could use them. We went cold turkey with the bottle right before his 1st bday and he hasn't looked back since. He had a little trouble with regular sippy cups, so the ones we use are the ones with straws, and he loves them. I would recommend getting a sippy with spongebob/diego or another or his favorite cartoon characters and tell him how big boys drink. And if you need to get a sippy cup for grandma's house/babysitter's to make sure they have one they can use at all times too and have no excuse to use the bottle.
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 9:43 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• my mother would do the same thing with my daughter. and i had to keep saying over and over again stop giving her the bottle. family is the hardest. she transitioned so easy never gave a fight because she did go to daycare and she was on a sippy way before she was a year old. just get rid of it. just buy a bunch of disposable sippies with characters he likes on them. that is what i did. and i got big ones and small ones and the ones with the softtop . she loves those. good luck and make sure you really tell them that this is what you want. its very difficult with family. trust me i know.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:43 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I had a hard time with this with my son because I run a day care and he was always seeing the younger ones with bottles. What I did was I "forgot" the bottle when we went on vacation for a weekend.. he didn't even notice while we were gone.. when we got back I went to lay him down for bed and he said "bottle" and I said "nope no more bottles you are a big boy now" and he rolled over and went to sleep..he hasn't had a bottle in his mouth since.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 9:49 AM on Dec. 15, 2010