what can i do to get my kids to listen to me while my fiance is gone off to work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• the old saying you know santa is watching ,you can bribe them ,but you have to be firm and don't yell talk softly and let them come to you only say it once also sets some new rules ,what i say goes ,if don't listen your sent out to time out if you do good then end of the week you plan some thing to do with mom ,it will be hard at first but they will listen ,mom of 5 kids i know what i am talking about and good luck
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 2:19 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Personally, I would sit them down and talk to them... if that doesn't work, then I would grab kids one by one and tell them the same thing of: The first time that you don't listen to mommy, (for instance) your tv goes away... and make them repeat it so that you know that they heard it... they have to comprehend what you are saying in order to repeat it.... I would also do this for whatever... like "if you don't sit down at the table, then you don't get your snack.... (kids repeat....), but if you sit down at the table, you will get your snack...." Let them make the choice... you just dole out the consequences consistently and immediately. This also teaches them that their actions have consequences and it is all based on the choices they make... Hope that helps! GL!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 10:13 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• You have to be consistent and follow through, they also need to know they have to listen to you when your fiance is home.....you can't let your fiance do everything and you just do it when your fiance is gone. You need to find out what works for your kids, timeouts are good....a minute for each year.....taking things away works for some. With my 4 year old I always ask her if she wants a timeout and let her know she will get time out if she doesn't listen. We have to take things away from my 2 year old, she just doesn't care about timeouts.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 12:30 AM on Dec. 16, 2010