Potty-training woes

Ok so dd is 2 and 1/2 and has shown for several months now interest in the potty and has yet to go in it. When I put her in underwear she just soils or wets it and says "uh-oh" and if I put her in a diaper and she wets or soils it she says"I need to use the potty" or "I need a diaper change" but then when I take her to the potty she thinks its all fun and games and wont focus on using it or worse-will cry until I let her up. I'm at a loss as to what to do. My oldest child(ds) was 3 years and 2 months when he was fully trained,peeing pooping, the whole bit. I can't even call dd partially trained-she's never peed or pooped on the potty.I tried enticing her with candy and stickers(she replied politely with "I don't want stickers or candy, thank you"). What to do? She's in the very last size of Easy Ups right now and still those leak about half the time. Please please help!

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 1:48 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would try taking her shopping so she cna pick out her own underwear. Then let her buy some stickers whatever ones she wants. When you get home print a calander page and hang it in the bathroom. Tell her everytime she does potty she can put a sticker on the calendar. After "X" amount of stickers do something special like take her for ice cream or make her favorite dinner. You might also want to get a timer so she is trying to go potty at the same time every day. I usually set mine for 20 minutes in the beginning.
    If she really doesn't focus you might want to put some books in the bathroom so while she is sitting she has something to look at.

I know it sounds crazy, this is what worked for my kids.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:42 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Try reading a book with her while she sits on the potty. Then she will relax and maybe pee or poop.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 2:09 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• have you tryed showing her how to flush. that worked with my niece. she learned that if she pottyed in the big girl potty then she gets to flush it. and she loves to flush the toilet:)
    2010mommy0914

Answer by 2010mommy0914 at 2:29 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I will have to try the flushing thing but don't know if that will work because she will only sit on the little potty, not the toliet which she is scared of.
    SweetLoveofMine

Comment by SweetLoveofMine (original poster) at 3:06 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Don't force her to sit on the potty. She shouldn't be crying over the potty...she won't ever want to use it if it's forced. Why is she in easy ups if she hasn't used the toilet yet? I hate easy ups. One boy in the school asked to use the bathroom but when we pulled his pants down he said "nevermind, i'm wearing pull ups." I was like no way you go in the potty! It doesn't make sense to me the basically put a diaper on them. At least if they are in underwear they will get a gross sensation of poop/pee in their pants. That might make them want to use the potty. It should be fun for your child, and shouldn't be stressful. A lot of children who aren't potty trained at age 4 aren't because they resent it. They were forced when they weren't ready and now they don't even want to try. My dd is almost 2 and loves the potty, will tell me when she needs to go, will sit on it all day long and read books but still hasn't gone in it.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 3:27 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• She has never ben forced to go in the potty. She is wearing Easy Ups becuase she outgrew diapers.
    SweetLoveofMine

Comment by SweetLoveofMine (original poster) at 3:33 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I don't personally know anyone else who does it like me, but I tell you I have had the BEST luck with potty "training" by just NOT training. When my kids are about 18 months old, I put a potty chair in all the bathrooms and one in the main living area. They follow me to the bathroom from the time they can crawl. If they want to imitate me and sit on their own potty I think that's great and I give a little clap. If not, fine. They'll get there eventually. They use the living area potty to sit on, store things in, tote things around in...whatever. That potty is meant to become their friend, something they are comfortable with. When they are ready to use it they do. I have 2 girls ages 8 and 6, and little boy who just turned 2. The girls were 22 and 26 months old when they trained themselves in just 1 day! All they had to do was decide they wanted to use the potty and it was all over. My son is really close.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:26 AM on Dec. 15, 2010