Should i put my son in daycare or keep him home?

My son is 2. he has no cousins or any kids his age around to play with. I was considering putting him in daycare so he would be used to being around kids when he starts school. People have told me not to put him in because he stands a higher risk of getting sick. But can't he get sick without being in daycare to?

andrewsmama0504

Asked by andrewsmama0504 at 2:08 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would keep him home as long as you can a look for a playgroup, start a playgroup, find some library story time just anything to get him interacting with other little ones.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:11 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Thanks. I stay at home everyday because i take ged classes online. i want to spend as much time with him as i can before he does start school
    andrewsmama0504

Comment by andrewsmama0504 (original poster) at 2:13 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Generally if a kid is in daycare around other kids, he will get sick more often. If you live in an area that has decent weather you can consider going to the park to let him interact with other kids. Another idea would be getting involved at your local church. I stay at home with my son, but we go to church every week where he goes in the nursery and he loves it. He has a few little friends that he really enjoys playing with.
    bb510

Answer by bb510 at 2:13 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Kids get sick. It's a normal part of growing up. His immune system will be stronger.

My 2 year old is an only, and I'm in the same boat as you. When she gets to be 3, I'd like to put her in a day program for 2-3 days per week. She needs the interaction with other children her age, and I need to have some time to develop some hobbies/interests outside of motherhood.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:20 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Daycare is good for kids helps them socialize. A cousin kept her kid at home until she was 5 and she had the worst time dealing with her seperation anixeity at school. Now my son is at home with me...it's nice but I do notice he does freak out if I go and I am like OMG I have to get you back into daycare (Spring time).
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 5:19 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• daycare has been a godsend for my daughter. she hardly gets sick but its a small daycare in a home so it depends. she never been in a center. anyways, its great for them to interact with other children and she has no seperation anxiety. the only time she started to is when i kept her home for a month and only sent her once a week. but its a good thing for them. something new and lets them be around different adults too. she is very comfortable around new people and independant. every child is different ofcourse but i think its a good thing. btw i need to send her to daycare because i work and go to school but when i don't have work or school she stays home. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:01 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Have you thought about a preschool at a church? My son goes to preschool at a church and has since he was 2.5 years old. He started out 2days/week 9-11.30. I put him in b/c he is an only child and we had no playgroups around here. He is 4.5 years old and this our last year of preschool. He loves it, socializes, and goes on fieldtrips,etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:19 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Btw, my son has been sick 4x in 4.5 years. He does not get anymore sick being in preschool than out.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:20 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I run a Home Daycare and Preschool and I take kids as early as 18 months for my preschool program. You should look into your area and see if you can find a similar program. We get sickness going around once in a while, but probably once every 6 months. If you think your son would benefit from a situation where he gets to play with others without you several times a week, I say go for it, it would not be bad for him. Even if he does get sick more, it will help build his immunities over time.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 10:58 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I would keep him home with you as long as possible. This time goes by so quickly and he still has plenty of time to interact with other kids. Going to a story hour at a local library is a great way to get out of the house, be around other kids, meet other moms, and to enjoy good children's literature.
    London3

Answer by London3 at 3:51 AM on Dec. 19, 2010