what is a normal age????

I have three small girls, who are no longer wearing diapers. My oldest is 4 1/2 and was wondering when is she going to be able to clean herself when she goes poo? I don't want her to start school and not be able to clean her bottom. I also dont want to make her do it herself and have to buy knew panties cuz she leaves skid marks.

baby-cakes

Asked by baby-cakes at 2:18 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my 4 year old wipes himself and does a good job about 95% of the time. If he can't get clean, he calls for help. He's been doing it for close to a year now.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 2:19 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Well my 3yr old wants to do it herself, but my oldest gets grossed out by it. I don't know why but ever since she was born she didn't like poop.
    baby-cakes

Comment by baby-cakes (original poster) at 3:10 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• it's normal that she isn't able to do it all herself, but I would start working on it. I am a teacher and I at least have the children try to wipe themselves before I help them at all.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 3:19 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• my bf's nephew used to hold it till he got home all kindergarten year. he was so grossed out by poop that he would make himself throw up. lol, after first grade he grew out of it. for the 3 yr old you should maybe try letting her use wipes and keep explaining how to properly clean herself, that is what im trying with my 3 yr old. gl!
    VERONICAS_MOM

Answer by VERONICAS_MOM at 3:21 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• You should let them try. Keep baby wipes in the bathroom for them to use until they have the swing of things. Thats what Im doing with my 3yr old twins. GL mami!
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 8:12 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My son wipes himself already. He is 4.5 years old. But he has no choice. Preschool requires him to have more independence. So I had to teach him.

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:14 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• have her use wipes. also u could just buy some cheap underwear while you're teaching her so shes not wearing good undies!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 1:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• My DS is 3 and I let him wipes first and I wipe after just in case there was some he didn't get. Most of the time he gets it though.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 5:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• i had to teach my daughter how to wipe. i watch her get the toilet paper. and you know kids like the ball up the toilet paper, wipe once and throw it in the toilet. i tell her not to ball it up, to fold it gently. i tell her to wipe and look. if there is poo on the TP then fold it in half, wipe and look. if there is still poo on the TP. throw it in the toilet, get more TP and do it again. I would also tell her if she didnt see poo on the TP, to kind of dig in there and make sure it's all gone. I had to stand in front of my child every time she went poop and make sure she wiped the way i told her to. if i wasn't there to make sure, she would ball it up wipe once and throw it in the toilet about 20 times until the toilet was filled with toilet paper!! You don't want to CLEAN that mess!
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 5:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• daughter is 4 1/2 and she goes 1st and then I do an inspection swipe
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:19 AM on Dec. 17, 2010