how do i stop a 2 yr old from hurting herself when she is mad?

my niece is always banging her head against walls or biting her self or pulling out her hair. we have tryed everything. what do we do?

2010mommy0914

Asked by 2010mommy0914 at 2:25 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yikes! Try to discourage the behavior of course, and if it really worries you, you could always ask your pediatrician for advice.
    bb510

Answer by bb510 at 2:36 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• well she told us to put her in her room and shut the door. when we did that she came out with blood all over her arm bc she bit herself. so we dont do that anymore.
    2010mommy0914

Comment by 2010mommy0914 (original poster) at 2:38 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I told my DS,2, that he could not hurt my baby and put him in time out. It passed in a few weeks thankfully. good luck!
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 2:46 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I would never leave my child alone in a room while she was hurting herself! That was awful advice! My daughter sometimes will pull her hair or hit her head on things and I've started trying to put pressure on her head when she is getting to the point of hurting herself. When I feel completely overwhelmed sometimes I will tug on my hair because the pressure makes me feel more stable for some reason. Maybe try this and at the same time talk to her in a calm voice and let her know it's not ok to hurt herself and that you are there to help her feel better. Good luck, I bet it will pass shortly. That young they are learning how to deal with feelings and she just doesn't know how to yet. Sometimes I give her a ball and giver her a point on the wall to throw it at..then she throws it as hard as she can and it becomes a game. She gets her frustration out and forgets that she is upset.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 3:18 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I think it might be something deeper than that. There's no reason a toddler to hurt herself unless there was something else going on behind closed doors. Talk to your pediatrician and tell them what's going on with your niece. Get their advice about what to do. There has to be more going on than her just acting out for no reason.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:25 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• upon talking to a doctor about this.. he said that if its just some bruises here and there dont be alarmed... this behavior is totally normal in toddlers unless they are truely hurting themself to the point you are taking them to the doctor. Usually toddlers do this when they arnt getting something they want.... like I said... breath easy and dont be alarmed unless it become self mutilation.. in which that case might be a mental and/or health issue.. good luck!
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 3:46 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• my dd does it when i tell her no or stop it she will hit her self or pinch. sometimes when shes bored she will hit her head on the wall or gag herself. sometimes kid do this if they are spanked and they have been bad or think they have. i grab my dd and hug and kiss her and tell her not to hurt my baby and i love her.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 4:10 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• It may be tough on you but physically restrain her in a seated bear hug until it passes. Is she to big to pad a playpen in pillows to put her in? Maybe something she can bite on if that's a favorite like a leather strap or something similar if it's available.
    Maybe try helping her create a safe place where she can go when she ferules that way with things she likes maybe art supplies or something.
    Calming music?
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 6:34 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I guess it just sounds strange to me.. my daughter NEVER did this when she was two.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• i agree with TAM you guys got some disturbed kids.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 4:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2010