Birthday and Holiday presents??

My son turned two in July and for the past year or two on holidays and birthdays, I will hold back a couple presents that he receives and give them to him at a later time. Sometimes the presents are not quite appropriate for his stage of development yet or I would just rather wait and give it to him at another time, like if he is acting unusually cranky at some point. Something new to play with will always calm him down and shut him up for a while. Plus we don't have the money (no actually my SO does not want to spend money on our son, his alcohol is more important) to be buying him new things (EVER!!!). Just curious if any other moms do this?

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 2:59 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't do that. My DD's birthday is in June and so ever 6 months is a major milestone for her, as well as her birthday... at least up until this point anyway. Everything I've bought for her during her birthday and Christmas were appropriate for her age at the time.

I do buy a few things each month for her though... I don't base it on behavior. I don't agree with giving presents if the child is acting up or being cranky. I just don't think it's right to feed into their moods/tantrums/etc like that.

I base it on if she's developmentally ready for something. Like crayons aren't a gift I would have given her for Christmas, as I see them as a learning tool and essentially a need. I only buy what she is prepared for, and when I am prepared to give it to her.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:02 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• i have done that my babys birthday is in september she is 3 and she got alot of outside toys so we have them put away until the summer and she also got alot of art supplies so i only give her something new when her others are wearing out.
    VERONICAS_MOM

Answer by VERONICAS_MOM at 3:04 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I agree completely Razelda!! But I don't have the luxury of buying a few things each month for my son, although I really, really wish I did!!!! My SO's unemployment pay could very easily allow us to buy him a small enrichment toy once a month if I was budgeting the money but sadly our very limited budget goes to really stupid shit every two weeks and we are broke before the first week is even over with. But I am a stay at home which is the most important thing for my son, I am sure you would agree if you spent any time with the only choice I have of free child-care at this point.
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 3:13 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I'm a stay at home Mom as well, but I also work too. I didn't say they were big things, nor brand new. We go to the Good Will when we need to just like everyone else. Few bucks a month and she has new toys.

And if your child isn't blessed to have new toys a month, fine. It happens. Pack up some of your kids toys and rotate them out once a month or every other few weeks. Then it'll basically be re-using what you already have, and I guarantee you it'll help create a new desire for your child to play with the toys... as the same ones wont be laying out all the time =).

I just don't condone giving kids new toys when their behavior isn't appropriate. It's not going to help them in the long run.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:16 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• No, I have no need to do that, but I see nothing wrong with it either. It's a shame that your DH finds that his booze is more important than his son.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 9:27 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I let my kids open all of their presents at Christmas, but then I put some of them away for later. But then, I don't ever let him keep everything out at once. I always rotate their toys - keeping some of them put away on the shelves of my closet or in the hall closet to pull out when they get bored with what they have been playing with the last couple of weeks.

Answer by missanc at 9:46 AM on Dec. 15, 2010