My son has adhd he is 8 years old, they r now evaluating him for aspergers because he shows all the signs for it! I dont know what to do, i dont know anyone in this situation, can anyone give me answers to help him?

kitkat1975

Asked by kitkat1975 at 3:09 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• WELL MY DAUGHTER DOESNT HAVE THAT BUT I HAVE A CLT I SEE THAT HAS IT AN ALL I CAN SAY IS BE A MOM GIRL THATS ALL WE CAN DO JUST BECAUSE HE MAY HAVE A LABEL DOESNT MAKE HIM DIFFERENT FROM YESTERDAY WHEN HE WASNT LABELED ANYTHING BUT UR SON I WOULD SAY GOOGLE IT AND FIND AS MUCH INFORMATION ON IT AN THAN FIND SUPPORT GROUPS MY DAUGHTER HAS A LOT OF MEDICAL PROBLEMS WITH NO TITLES SO IF HE IS HEY THATS FINE HE HAS MOMMY BY HIS SIDE IF HE DOESNT HE STILL UR LITTLE BOY LOVE IS THE BEST MEDICINE :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 3:15 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Your son's doctor will be able to give you answers to help him. I'm sure they can recommend various resources to help teach him to be able to lead his life in a normal manner. People with Asperger's can live fairly normal lives. My Dad's SO has a 9 year old with the same problems....he can be a bit of a handful, but so can kids who aren't diagnosed with any conditions. I think the biggest problem kids with Aspergers have, is dealing with other people, especially kids. They tend to come across as really rude, but they can't help it. They just think differently than most people. Just do your best with him, take advantage of any opportunities you find to learn more about it, and be supportive and encouraging.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 3:15 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• my cuz kid whos 5 years old has aspergers... it's def hard for her because she never knows what kind of mood hes gonna be in.. and doctors have suggested that he go to a special type of school because he wouldnt do well in a regular school and also he wouldnt have much of a social life. All she does is try to learn to understand him, be patient, and spread awareness to the public by attending autism walks, etc.
    There is no "cure" but their are medications to help... all you can do is be their for your child... perhaps join a group for mothers who are going through the same thing.. best of luck
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 3:19 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I thank u for all ur comments. The thing that scares me the most is how aggression towards other kids is getting worse. We r trying to get him in a partial school for emotional supports, because of the problems in regular school. The school he is in has no supports, and they try to act like he can manage there but its obvious being in a regular classroom isnt gonna cut it. Its sad too watch ur child isolate himself and sit there by himself like he is the only person in the world. I dont think I have cried so much in my entire life. God I'll sit on the floor and play with him or play wii cause he only wants my attention and i give all i can to him and try to spend time with my other kids too. He is such a handful, i took leave from work to try and get this under control or get a clue how to deal with his outbursts. I know my other kids need my attention as well, i just wish there was more of me to go around.
    kitkat1975

Comment by kitkat1975 (original poster) at 3:27 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Stay on top of things. Read everything you can. Search out local support groups. Find groups that can help you find answers, give you the resources you need and be there for you and your child. Talk about it to your family, friends, and others. There are so many people out there, it is just a matter of finding them and working together.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:52 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• that is actually really common - if it makes you feel better - to get an ADHD diagnosis before the Aspie diagnosis... becuase lost of Aspies have all teh classic ADHD symptoms.... Asburgers also commonly have OCD and other issues that go hand in hand with it. it will be okay! hang in there - one day at time - i dont know what else to tell you other than - never give up - never stop trying new things - what didnt work yesterday might work today.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:29 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• my 7 1/2 y.o. has ADHD and Aspergers. I would be happy to help you any way I can. It can be tough but it can also be rewarding. Message me sometime
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 5:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2010