Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Is this legal?

Got my first credit card. Had it less than a month. Been keeping track of EVERY CENT as I go. Had $52 and some change left on the card to spend as of last night. Now picture this: I'm at Walmart last night and I go to buy gas for dh to drive to work the next day and baby wipes for baby and they tell me my card is declined. What?! So embarrassed I use my debit card instead and get home and immediately I go to the credit card's website and pull up my account and couldn't believe my eyes when I see that they have charged to my account a $60. ANNUAL FEE. Ok first of all, I read ALL of the terms and conditions backwards and forwards with dh before signing up for the card and it said in plain English NO ANNUAL FEE. Secondly, I see on the website that they took the $60 out of my account BEFORE they even sent the card! I was LIVID. I called up the credit card company and spoke to a girl who insulted me several times, once saying that"You wouldn't expect to get a t-shirt without paying for it first would you?" Smart__! Then I spoke with her supervisor who did nothing and claimed there was no one above her. Then I called the next day and spoke to the head person there and still they claim they can't do anything!!! I offered a compromise of them crediting back the $60 so I wouldn't be over-the-limit and have my credit hurt or have to pay a over-the-limit fee and have them put the $60 charge on next month's bill but they claim they have no way of doing that. BS! Oh and when I signed up for this card I opted to have a feature that would make it to where I couldn't go over-the-limit and they did it anyways!!! It's overdrawn $7 and some change all because of them taking out $60 that I was unaware of. I think there are EVIL!!!! What can I do about this?


Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (12)
  • pay it off cut it up and send it too them with a nasty letter, letting them know you will tell eveyone about the dirty business they do. if your really still pissed threaten to sue. you could also call your better business bureau and explain it too them.

    Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 4:03 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • If it's really not in the fine print, I would dispute it. Other than that, IDK what you can do. Good luck! Maybe threaten to go to the police? Although I'm not sure the police would really do anything.

    Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 3:49 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • YES! I would look up the headquarters and call. Every credit cardco has a main branch, you just have to look. Also If you opted the no over limit box then that is there fault for letting the LAST transaction that put you over threw. Fight it girl i would and take it as far as you can. What card is it so i dont get it if you mind me asking?

    Answer by Mrs.Norris at 4:26 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • Cancel that card fast!!!

    Answer by SherriPie at 8:51 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • Also, if you threaten to cancel on them, you'll be more likely to get what you want.

    Answer by SherriPie at 8:52 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • I hate to say it but nothing its there rules i would pay the $7 and cancel them the same thing happened to me i tried writing a letter going to the bank asking them to show me where it says this will happen and in return got no where just wasted breath :( it happens to the best of us ....

    Answer by premiemom18 at 3:30 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • Many credit card companies charge an annual fee, I bet it's somewhere in your terms and conditions. If you can prove that you opted for the "cant go over the limit" feature, contact them again and show them the proof. If you don't get any resolution, contact Visa or MasterCard directly (whichever brand is on your card) and complain about their unfair business practices. If they've done this to you, they've probably done it to others, you could help in getting them cut off from issuing cards. Pay this off and cancel this card regardless, they sound shady.

    Answer by Scuba at 9:05 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • If your paper work says no annual fee call your state attorney general and then call your local news.  When the attorney general calls them he or she will get somewhere.


    Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:47 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • 1. Yes, this is legal. 2. Complain in writing so you have proof you did so. Threaten to cancel your account if this isn't resolved by such-and-such a date. 3. Shop around to see if you can get a regular credit card instead of this kind. You'll be less likely to have problems like this.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • Welcome to the world of Credit cards. It isn't fun is it?
    I would call them and threaten to cancel. I would even go as far as to cut up the credit card pay the whole thing off and just be done with it. The only thing credit cards are good for is to get you into trouble.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2010