Apartment Living With A 2yr Old??

My son is a very active toddler. He runs and climbs, and jumps etc. I try very hard to keep in mind the people living below us, but it's hard to explain "step lightly" to a 2yr old.

Tonight has been awful. He won't go to sleep and is throwing tantrums abound. We have been trying (in vain) to keep him quiet, considering the late hour, and our neighbors. However, someone decided that things sounded bad enough to call the police. 2 officers just showed up at our door wanting to make sure our son is ok.

I'm so embarrassed! We try so hard to be considerate but like I said, he's only 2! Has anyone else had a situation like this? Dh and I are at a loss. How do you live in an apartment with a 2yr old?

toykeymama

Asked by toykeymama at 3:29 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am going through (almost) the same thing. No cops yet but our daughter thinks its funny to stomp after we tell her not to. The way I look at it is the people below you were 2 once and they annoyed someone else so now it's time for them to be annoyed. It's a kid and there is no way to explain to them that someone lives below them who doesn't like the sound of their movement.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 3:44 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I love my apt. Lol but if u don't like it hernadez person u can come buy me a house
    canibalkittykat

Answer by canibalkittykat at 4:18 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• We live in an apt and our son is 17 months old and we've lived here since his birth, but we live DOWNSTAIRS, so that makes a huge difference. When we did have upstairs neighbors, they had a little girl probably 6 months older than our son, and we heard her when she cried, but we could also follow their steps whenever they walked thru their apt (I don't think they knew the concept of "step lightly"). As far as your specific situation goes, if you know for sure who it was that called the police and you feel comfortable with it, I would talk to them privately. I work at a police dept and they probably wouldn't have sent officers unless they were actually worried for the well being of the child, and obviously he's just being a normal 2 y/o boy. Some people are so scared of and kind of confrontation they call the cops to do the most minor things for them. Hope things work out for you all, good luck
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 9:25 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• If you find out, let me know! I have a three and a half year old boy with PDD and receptive language delays. Not only does he not understand the concept of people living below us, he doesn't always comprehend simple commands like "Don't jump". And to make matters worse, the people below us have never lived in an apartment before. They've called the manager twice in three days and all we were doing then was walking around the apartment; can't imagine what they're going to do on one of his really hyper nights. They were pounding on our floor/their ceiling before 6pm tonight even!
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 3:41 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• you better start baking cookies for the neighbors
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 3:42 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I did it with two 2 yr olds! Apts suck period. For our nd child we were living in an apt that had no one above or below us, just beside us and that helped a bit. But for our 1st baby we had people above us but again we were on the very bottom. I don't know what to tell you other than get the heck out of apt living as soon as possible(it's throwing away money anyways though I totally understand if you have no choice but to do it). Try going to your landlord and seeing if you can move to an apt that is on the bottom floor. That's really safest anyways if there's a storm.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:43 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Iv been living up stairs with my very hyper son for 3 going on 4yrs...its hard and at times embarrassing but I've never had anyone rude enough to call the police...I have layd down some rugs on the floor to cut down the running noise as for jumping I just have to sir him down for alil time out..he's still very active n hates going to bed I calmly remind him other ppl live under us and he needs to calm down..if all fails..lol I give him a dollar to chill out (I reuse the same dollar because he leaves it thrown) evil I know.
    canibalkittykat

Answer by canibalkittykat at 3:48 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• hernandezmom08- Um, where do you propose we live? I'm not quite sure what's wrong with an apartment that you'd rather your child live on the street. Not that you asked, but due to his severe medical issues we have medical bills that are out of this world. Our credit is ruined and the only place we can live is (thankfully!) in an apartment.
    toykeymama

Comment by toykeymama (original poster) at 4:07 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Forget about your neighbors and have the cops tell them that regularly calling the cops on you is harassment. Kids are loud there is no getting around that, if they don't like it then they can move.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:09 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• i lived downstairs in an apt when my daughter was 2. i let her jump off couches onto everything. i didn't have to worry about neighbors. you should consider moving or trasferring to a downstairs location.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 4:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2010