Cats and hairballs...

I have an indoor cat who is a little over a year old. She isn't long hair or short hair, I'd call her average length of hair. She has hairballs about once a week I would say on average. I don't know what to do for her. She's on a high quality cat food and everything. It has no artificial dyes,flavors or preservatives and the main ingredient is real salmon which she loves. She hates being bathed and I don't know if that really helps with hairballs or not. Suggestions?

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 4:48 AM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Pets

• I have one cat who has serious hairball issues even though he eats the same food as everyone else. Try giving her a little wet food this can help, also make sure you are buying hairball control dry food. They also sell hairball paste at pet stores, I put a little on my cats front paws so when he licks his paws he is getting some of the paste.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:25 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I've used the hairball paste and I think it works really well. You can also decrease the hairballs by regularly brushing the cat.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:29 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Brush her often; this can really help. You can also grow some "cat grass" for her (they sell seeds/seed kits at pet supply stores.) It'll help her pass more of the hair in her stools.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:56 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• What food is she on? if this food is a good one you might look and see if they have one for weight loss or hairballs. They are both higher in fiber which can help with hair balls. You might also get a furminator brush they do an awesome job getting the undercoat. Brushing is a good way cut down on the hairballs. look for some hairball remedy at the pet store or most vets carry some.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:21 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• The weight loss food it is higher in fiber (like I said) and sometimes it is better then the actual foods made for hairball problems to control hairballs. Skinny cats that eat the weight loss food can maintain their weight on it just fine they just eat a little more of it.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:51 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I had good results with the hairball paste too when i had a cat.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 10:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Lol she definitely doesn't need weight loss food, she has no fat on her at all. Sometimes when she's had a hairball episode, I can pick her up and actually feel that she's smaller. She was the smallest kitten of the litter. She's still pretty small and could pass for a kitten probably. She doesn't look like an adult cat. She's not boney at all. She's a healthy weight, just small in size.
    SweetLoveofMine

Comment by SweetLoveofMine (original poster) at 7:31 AM on Dec. 15, 2010